Sheffield Peregrine Falcons 2015

Okay, whilst we are on the topic of daft questions - my turn:

how did the original pair know where the platform was set up ready for them to use, were they released from captivity in the area? ?

where are the young birds from last year? Were they tagged?

Are any of the birds chipped so that they can be traced in future?

if only 60% of birds survive, what is the main cause of death - is it still man being the main predator?:

^^ I hope the above comes across as enthusiastic interest which it is meant to do and not just me being silly. If you don't ask you don't get to know as I was brought up. thanks in advance

Two of the young in Norwich were found dead in a garden last year not long after fledging. Both had head and neck trauma, and suspected they had flown into something at speed. Just one factor I guess.

how did the original pair know where the platform was set up ready for them to use, were they released from captivity in the area? ?

if only 60% of birds survive, what is the main cause of death - is it still man being the main predator?:

^^ I hope the above comes across as enthusiastic interest which it is meant to do and not just me being silly. If you don't ask you don't get to know as I was brought up. thanks in advance

They get ringed for identification purposes at a young age.

Don't think your questions are daft at all. I've always thought it's daft not to ask because then you never learn anything! Sure we all want the answers to your questions, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help. In the meantime, enjoy.

Last year was the first time they got the chicks ringed (https://sheffieldperegrines.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/peregrines-ringed-and-watched/) - quite a delicate job! I haven't heard what they're up to now - hopefully the study group will organise another public talk at St Georges like they did the last two years, so we can keep up with what's been happening.

As to your first question: I'm pretty sure the pair were always wild, but I can't remember if they were seen together in Sheffield before the platform was put up. In any case, they needn't have come from around here - except for nesting season when the pairs stay in one area, the birds travel miles all over the country so they'll have already been aware of potential nest sites in Sheffield and elsewhere.

Just a thought Catmanblue - have you checked out the Sheffield Peregrine Blog on the webcam website - very interesting and may answer some of your questions.

Taking a lot of time on the eggs now, I wonder if she's stopped at 3

Haven't seen any movement from nest today. With no new posts assume its still 3 eggs? It's a very noisy and windy place for her today. Has anyone seen her have anything to eat?

OK so while waiting for number four, a question: Given the breeding successes in previous years and that Peregrines are able to breed when a couple of years old, should we be fitting more nesting platforms around Sheffield and if so, where?

My question to anybody in the know is there any recorded nesting sites in the city which have been achieved without man made nest boxes. Surely there are ledges on buildings that are appropriate nesting sites

great news forth egg has arrived

My question to anybody in the know is there any recorded nesting sites in the city which have been achieved without man made nest boxes. Surely there are ledges on buildings that are appropriate nesting sites

I believe in the past, peregrines had been seen using the old Tinsley cooling towers, the Hallamshire, and the Arts Tower - but all as high perches and not as successful nest sites.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a peregrine swoop in front of my car yesterday tea time as I drove down Westfield Southway at Halfway, Sheffield. So nice to see such a beautiful bird living on the edge of town :)

Picture of the 4 eggs:

Here

I'll drink to that.

Edited by GrahamY