Why bother working?

Why bother working?

The question makes my blood boil.

What else would you do?.. and where would that get you?

Just done the state pension calculator it turns out that as I have worked for 42 years plus 3 years between 16 and 19 and paid all my NI contributions I will get £113.10 state pension per week. However if I have only worked for 5 of those years and claimed unemployment or sickness for all those years I would get ? guess what £113.10 If I had not worked at all and claimed lots of child benefit etc I would get £101 per week. What the **** is wrong with this country? It just beggars belief When are we going to actually going to say work and get the benefits and rewards not the the other way round :rant:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

There are significant changes for age groups in their 50s and 60s.

The calculation you have made on line is an estimate of your basic State Pension under the current rules and rates.

Apply for a Pension Statement for a more accurate estimate. Also the rates for those starting a pension in April 2016 have not yet been completely set in stone

The state pension is meant to be a safety net and it is expected that people will save in private pensions schemes to top it up. The fact that the unemployed get more or less the same is irrelevant - they really could not manage to live in their older years on much less.

Yes! Why bother working? Let's all pack our jobs in and live off some other mugs tax payments!

What could go wrong!!

Genuine question, but if someone retires after working say 40 years, takes their private pension as a lump sum and blows it all will they then get a state pension or other financial help ?

Genuine question, but if someone retires after working say 40 years, takes their private pension as a lump sum and blows it all will they then get a state pension or other financial help ?

If they have paid their NI,yes,plus any benefits that they are entitled to for whatever reason.

Obviously the cost of those then falls on others.

That's the reason why I think it is reckless to "tempt" people to have a spending spree rather than conserve for the future.

If they have paid their NI,yes,plus any benefits that they are entitled to for whatever reason.

Obviously the cost of those then falls on others.

That's the reason why I think it is reckless to "tempt" people to have a spending spree rather than conserve for the future.

Wow, I can't see that working out well for this country in the coming years.

Channel 4 dispatches on 20.00 / 21.00 on +1 How to blow your pension. Should answer a few questions.

Yes! Why bother working? Let's all pack our jobs in and live off some other mugs tax payments!

My wife receives around 75% of the basic state pension due to her not working when the children were born.

The reason it seems like its not worth working, is down to equality, and stay at home mums.

Why work? So that I can drive the car I want, go on the foreign holidays I want and afford the things I want to buy.

I don't want much in this life, I don't buy lots of the latest tech gadgets or swap furniture/decorations because I want a colour change. I like the simple things in life. I have a decent car not a new one every three years. I do like a foreign holiday a couple of times a year. Other than that I get my enjoyment in life from living an active life, outdoors a lot.

If people want to live their life on benefits and get the same pension as me, I really don't care. My life has been lived how I wanted it to be and that is all that matters to me. That's why I work.

Edited by lipschitz
additon