Sheffield City Centre Parking

There are 1000's of parking spaces in Sheffield town centre on Sunday's for only £1 for all day.

Bargain!!

Yeah quite how the OP managed to miss both the NCP opposite Currys AND the cheese grater behind it is a bit of a mystery, but maybe they were full and Sheffield is doing better than we think? I do know that on my last few trips into the centre on a Saturday the queue to get into John Lewis carpark has been pretty long!

Sounds like the OP was expecting a parking space right outside the doors, couldnt see one, and so gave up.

Sounds like the OP was expecting a parking space right outside the doors, couldnt see one, and so gave up.

Well I guess if buying a TV you probably don't want to lug it very far... but then you surely wouldn't expect to be able to load up right outside the door in a city centre would you? Even if you bought it from Meadowhall you're going to have to get it from the store to the car park. Your only real option is a retail park. But I'm guessing the OP isn't that naive?

It makes me laugh that people think there should be free parking in town. There are plenty of parking spaces in town and even though I'm disabled and probably could park for free I prefer to use the QPark carparks. Much safer and a lot more room

It makes me laugh that people think there should be free parking in town. There are plenty of parking spaces in town and even though I'm disabled and probably could park for free I prefer to use the QPark carparks. Much safer and a lot more room

Of course parking should be free in town. Disabled or not, that dosent come into it. If SCC want us to shop in town then they need to compete with places like Peaks and Meadowhall or even my local 24 hour Asda and give FREE parking.

Otherwise ill go somewhere that does and has lots of spaces.

Well I guess if buying a TV you probably don't want to lug it very far... but then you surely wouldn't expect to be able to load up right outside the door in a city centre would you? Even if you bought it from Meadowhall you're going to have to get it from the store to the car park. Your only real option is a retail park. But I'm guessing the OP isn't that naive?

I bought a TV from Currys in Meadowhall not long ago. They let me drive into the service area and brought it down to me. Really good service.

Well in that case the process is:

- find a car parking space in town

- Go to shop

- buy TV

- go back to car

- drive to shop and park outside it for 30 seconds on double yellows to load car up

- drive off

:hihi:

Well in that case the process is:

- find a car parking space in town

- Go to shop

- buy TV

- go back to car

- drive to shop and park outside it for 30 seconds on double yellows to load car up

- drive off

:hihi:

Yup. You see how simple life is? Only people make it difficult! ;c)

Of course parking should be free in town. Disabled or not, that dosent come into it. If SCC want us to shop in town then they need to compete with places like Peaks and Meadowhall or even my local 24 hour Asda and give FREE parking.

Otherwise ill go somewhere that does and has lots of spaces.

Unfortunately for this argument the majority of parking spaces are not owned by SCC, they're privately owned. If SCC did not charge for the few spaces they own then the businesses who operate parking premises would be fully justified in taking SCC to court.

Plus, any shortfall in SCC's income from parking charges would have to be raised from somewhere else.

Unfortunately for this argument the majority of parking spaces are not owned by SCC, they're privately owned. If SCC did not charge for the few spaces they own then the businesses who operate parking premises would be fully justified in taking SCC to court.

Plus, any shortfall in SCC's income from parking charges would have to be raised from somewhere else.

The council could take over the parking spots? We hear about compulsory purchases of houses and land so why not parking spots? It would cost money to start with but the long term effect would it would help inject life back into the city.

The council could take over the parking spots? We hear about compulsory purchases of houses and land so why not parking spots? It would cost money to start with but the long term effect would it would help inject life back into the city.

So you are unhappy to pay a couple of quid to park, yet you would be happy to pay more taxes to allow the council to purchase privately owned carparks which would cost hundreds of millions in property value and then compensation.

Back to reality....because that would never happen.

It would be pointless to make council provided city centre parking free, because the supply would massively out strip demand so you really wouldnt be able to park for free anyway.