Can anyone identify location in this photo?

Ye,s that's interesting. The photo posted by hillsbro shows the "new" S.U.T. building, which the S.U.T. must have moved to when it was built in 1956. My 1954 Kelly's Directory shows the S.UT. offices as being in Union Street and Waingate,so perhaps they were not in the Pond Hill building for very long, unless it was another garage in addition to the Charlotte Road depot.

The S.U.T. In Union St was in the Cambridge Arcade.they were in Pond St for quite a few years, the Arcade one was just a small office. They moved to Charlotte Rd after Pond St was redeveloped.

Edited by lazarus

The S.U.T. were actually in Charlotte Road as early as 1937 (here's a scan from the 1937 Kelly's Directory). As rossyrooney wrote, the firm started as United Motor Services; this was using premises in Waingate and must have been in the late 1920s (the firm isn't listed in 1925 but is shown at 13 Waingate in a 1930 directory). They combined with several other firms to form the S.U.T. in 1935 according to this web page. More details are on another web page which confirms 1937 as the opening date of the Charlotte Road garage.

The S.U.T. In Union St was in the Cambridge Arcade.they were in Pond St for quite a few years, the Arcade one was just a small office. They moved to Charlotte Rd after Pond St was redeveloped.

Except the garage in Charlotte Road opened in 1937. This offered all the services available at Pond Hill as well as vehicle washing and both day and night repairs. It must have been rather more suited for coach parking & repair than the Pond Hill site.

A brief history of SUT

Oops - beaten to it by hillsbro

Edited by Library

It's been an enjoyable thread this one. It looks like most of us have been googling SUT history. Much more fun than debating the Paris problem. They are still fighting on that thread. I thought peace had broken out about a hour ago, but somebody has thrown more wood on the fire.

... Much more fun than debating the Paris problem. They are still fighting on that thread...
I just had a look - bloomin' heck. Give me the old timers' forum any time!.:P This thread actually inspired me to look into the history of Pond Hill (which of course is almost flat, and it's next to Flat Street which is a hill - a good example of Sheffield logic). The Horse & Jockey, which became the Lyceum Hotel, must have been established between 1844 and 1856 to judge from the sources I have. The previous occupant of No 21 next door (where the S.U.T. office were) was Douglas Cliff, a wealthy timber merchant who died in 1929.

I just had a look - bloomin' heck. Give me the old timers' forum any time!.:P This thread actually inspired me to look into the history of Pond Hill (which of course is almost flat, and it's next to Flat Street which is a hill - a good example of Sheffield logic). The Horse & Jockey, which became the Lyceum Hotel, must have been established between 1844 and 1856 to judge from the sources I have. The previous occupant of No 21 next door (where the S.U.T. office were) was Douglas Cliff, a wealthy timber merchant who died in 1929.

Yes, I've been doing same. Love local history.

Yes its the Lyceum Hotel and the proprietor was Jack Stones who was a driver for Sheffield United Tours which had a small garage and office next door at No21 Pond Hill. This garage was originally occupied by Arthur Kitson, coach company from 1921. A newer office was built for SUT on the new Pond Street bus station in the mid 1950s and that at No21 was demolished around 1960/61.

I wonder if the Douglas Cliff you mention was anything to do with Cliffes Timber and D.I.Y. that traded successfully on Staniforth Road for many years....

I wonder if the Douglas Cliff you mention was anything to do with Cliffes Timber and D.I.Y. that traded successfully on Staniforth Road for many years....

I was just sat here thinking the same thing. My mate Paul worked for them until they closed a few years ago.

I've been looking in directories, BMD records etc., and the Pond Hill business was in the name of "A. Walter Cliff". This was Abraham Cliff whose son Douglas took over the business. I can't find any link with George Osborne Cliff who had the business at 477-479 Staniforth Road, though there may of course have been a family connection. George Cliff lived at Aston and he evidently died in May last year, aged 92.

Like queueing in the "rent place" just below with yer mam, it was all worth it because we went in the market after for a plate of cockles and some tripe for me dads tea.

Happy days.

yer I think it's the old rent office just behind the old queens head I had to queue outside for ages on a saturday morning, to pay the rent for me mam funny it seemed to **** it down every Saturday, and and waiting in the lng queue for what seems like ages. couldn't wait till the queue went inside were it was nice and warm. having done that my mum said if there was any change I could keep it. but I could bet my life that there wouldn't be much left may have been the odd half a crown, but worth a great deal to me x