High winds 9/1/15

We've been up to near hurricane force gusts so far for Sheffield, and according to the BBC forecast the worst isn't over for tonight.

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/meso2/

71.4mph gust according to that - above 74 is classed as hurricane force.

Potential building damage due to high winds may be that a chimney pot gets blown off, or it may bring down any loose slates/roof tiles. Aside from that, windows may smash if they're hit by flying items. Major building damage is rarely seen but not completely unknown e.g a whole roof comes off, but in situations like that then usually the wind has to be hitting the building at a certain angle as well as the force for it to be able to get anywhere near doing that.

Only thing you can do is to have a look up at your roof tomorrow to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Last time we had wind like this we did experience a significant loss of roof tiles! Here's hoping our shiny new roof stands up to it's first battering :)

Does anyone know the website where you actually see the current wind gust speeds in our area. My husband used it once but he can't remember the actual website!

Does anyone know the website where you actually see the current wind gust speeds in our area. My husband used it once but he can't remember the actual website!

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/meso2/

My bin is somewhere in S20

And where do you live? :)

My bins have blown over and the paper box is half way up the garden. I don't see the point of picking them up at the moment...

anybdy living in weststreet??

I EFFING LOVE THIS WEATHER!!!

:banana:

Windows open, curtains billowing, lights off, candles flickering!!

:D

I EFFING LOVE THIS WEATHER!!!

Windows open, curtains billowing, lights off, candles flickering!!

Me too as well as all this wind it's also the hottest day of the year so far, we have it all.:banana::hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35sCcn66Hw&list=RD8ZH9ebAZouk&index=8

Edited by NorthernStar

Me too as well as all this wind it also the hottest day of the year so far, we have it all.:banana::hihi:

:thumbsup:

:partyhat::partyhat:

The wind blew the gable end out of a relatively new apartment block at Crookes a few years ago.

Don't worry.

My friend's partner lived there. It destroyed her mini. Tonight we have lost our gatepost and fence. Also reported a fallen tree in Crookes.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 21:51 ----------

anybdy living in weststreet??

I was blown along Division Street and actually swept off my feet in West One after a cocktail in Anchorage.

Ooops....sorry everyone....I really should not be eating beans :P

Thank you for the link .... i LOVE the wind, but then i love storms and freak weather