Twist and fuel / Boardwalk appears to be closed down

Just walked past the venue on Snig hill.

All advertising boards have gone, the name above the door has gone etc

Anyone know what has happened?

Has it closed down??

Closed the week before Xmas. Probably died on its arse.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 12:28 ----------

Discussed here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10803297&postcount=1520

I've an idea for the building, someone should open a music venue there have great classic acts and up and comming stars. Reasonable prices for entry and drink. Suggested name Boardwalk 2. Any takers ?

I've an idea for the building, someone should open a music venue there have great classic acts and up and comming stars. Reasonable prices for entry and drink. Suggested name Boardwalk 2. Any takers ?

Even better, call it the 'Mucky Duck'

It's got to return to being a live music venue surely? 4th July 1976 - the Clash's first ever gig. You can't buy history like that. Hundreds and hundreds of great gigs in a proper rock club venue. Alex Turner as barman etc etc etc.

Yes it seems shut, I am a bit mystified what it was like, it used to have a very colourful flag on outside and some colourful people went in, some sort of creche?

When it was still the boardwalk, the bloke running it told me that the Pubco had fixed the beer supply prices so high that it was very difficult to make any money and this was why there was very few staff.

The only way this venue could be successful, it seems to me, would be if the building was owned as a free house.

Well that didn't last long. I can't say that I'm surprised, I only went the once and it wasn't great. I think the fact that the opening time was at midnight did not help. I look forward to seeing what it is replaced with. As far as a band venue.... We already have Plug and rocking chair for that. I think perhaps something completely different would be beneficial.

I noticed this the other day too.

Nothing could ever bring back the History back to that place.

It's got to return to being a live music venue surely? 4th July 1976 - the Clash's first ever gig. You can't buy history like that. Hundreds and hundreds of great gigs in a proper rock club venue. Alex Turner as barman etc etc etc.

Definitely a great pedigree for it as a rock venue; from The Clash's first gig to Arctic Monkeys' early big break; it would be nice to see the upstairs as a live music venue again.

The inside of the upstairs and downstairs should be in fairly good nick, as it was expensively refurbished less than a year ago, and it was a popular gay club for all of the 10 months or so it was open. However the management made the serious mistake of ignoring local DJs and talented cabaret artistes with the result that it simply ended up as a poor imitation of the existing offerings of Dempseys and Icons, without ANY of the local rapport with regular customers, as the DJ's at Twist/Fuel were brought in from Leeds, Hull, even LONDON for God's sake and no-one local could care a monkeys about them, so it was basically good riddance from local LGBTs when they hurriedly shut down when the lease ran out on Xmas Eve.

I do know there are various people interested in reopening the place; it certainly deserves a second chance as a LIVE venue.

Personally, I think it woul work better if the upstairs and downstairs were split into completely seperate venues, as they are ideally configured for different markets and potentially slightly different opening hours. :thumbsup: