Slow Down Traffic on Ringinglow Road

A petition has been created by parents of Ecclesall C of E Junior School to ask Sheffield Council to take steps urgently to make Ringinglow Road safer .

We have a target of 2500 signatures by the end of January. The Petition will be formally presented to the town hall on 3rd February.

If you want to sign the petition , here's the link:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ecclesall-junior-school-un-supervised-zebra-crossing-ringinglow-road/signatures.html

Thanks!

It's a long road..which bit are you asking to be slowed down??

Outside Ecclesall C of E Junior School is big problem. Traffic travels up from Ecclesall Road too fast and not aware school crossing is there. Too many near misses.

I like the "No surrender" comment 535 by Danny Andrews. :hihi:

I understand the need for traffic calming measures near all schools but I drive up Ringinglow road during school drop off and pick up times and you are lucky to get out of first gear with all the double parking and inconsiderate drivers and pedestrians.

I feel these problems need addressing also.

I agree a lollipop person is needed, but not the rest of the measures proposed, which are poorly thought out, my comments in brackets

- A new lollipop lady [why a lady?]

- Police supervision until a lollipop lady is in place

- A pelican crossing [why would you need a pelican crossing if you had a lollipop person?]

- A smiley speed sign near to the school in both directions [these things are pointless and break down within a year]

- Painting the road red with 20 mph signs painted in white [what? probably illegal unless a proper 20mph zone was made]

Err yes saying lollipop lady was bit rubbish..it should have been school crossing patrol but I guess you get my point.

The pelican crossing is needed as children arrive early/leave late due to after school activities....

There has been a smiley face further up ringinglow road for years... Still working and seems to make drivers slow down

20 mph ....of course this would have to be properly agreed.. .but it can be so once agreed no reason not to reduce speed outside a school and mark to road to advise drivers.. ?

So... the road is already a 30mph limit, and I don't think I've ever got anywhere near 30 going up that bit. Now you want it reducing to 20mph even though it is a main road. What next? 10? 5? Pedestrian zone?

So... the road is already a 30mph limit, and I don't think I've ever got anywhere near 30 going up that bit. Now you want it reducing to 20mph even though it is a main road. What next? 10? 5? Pedestrian zone?

It's a simple ask a lollypop lady/man for outside a junior school.

I think what they want is for people to drive safely. Trouble is, the way to make that happen isn't always immediately clear.

Speaking from personal experience, I have stopped at that crossing (out of school hours, actually, but still relevant) because people were waiting to cross and been overtaken! The people, now on the crossing, were forced to take evasive action to avoid being hit.

I have no idea what mindset or level of intelligence would cause somebody to perform such a reckless, life-endangering act but, having seen it with my own eyes I suspect that, unless action is taken, a serious injury is inevitable.

What action do you suggest could be taken to effectively prevent such behaviour?

It's happened to me at a number of different pedestrian crossings in this city, as has the other well known scenario where you stop for somebody to cross and then they almost get mown down by somebody coming the other way who just carries on. I don't think it's a problem specific to this crossing alone.

As to how you can stop it, I don't really know but certainly putting a lollipop person there at the appropriate times would probably help. Converting it to a Pelican might do as well (though I must say seeing a crossing patrol operating on a Pelican crossing, which I did the other day, strikes me as a bit over the top). I just get a bit fed up of the constant assumption that if we reduced the speed limit further, everything would be alright - there's no evidence presumably in these near misses that the cars concerned were breaking the 30 mph limit, or even going faster than 20 mph for that matter.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 12:43 ----------

It's a simple ask a lollypop lady/man for outside a junior school.

Not just that, if you read what they're petitioning for.

Why not address the parents dropping/collecting their children and parking illegally first and see if that makes a difference and then talk about wanting to reduce speed. As others have said at school times you have to avoid all double parked cars.