Charlie Hebdo public remembrance event, Barkers Pool, 11.01.15, 3pm

On Sunday 11th January 2015, at 3pm, at Barker's Pool, Sheffield City Centre, a service of commemoration, remembrance and solidarity for those killed in the recent atrocities in Paris will be held. The event will be reflecting on the lives of those killed and injured, and celebrating their work, as well as the ideals that they lived and died for.

This event has the full backing of the local council and the Lord Mayor and the leader of the council are due to be in attendance; MPs will be invited, and we hope for a good turnout from the public.

We intend that the event will be a time for reflection, expression and prayer; we will be taking the opportunity to talk about the importance of free speech, respect, tolerance and support, and how these precious values hold our society together.

Speakers will be from a variety of backgrounds and will represent a variety of beliefs and ideals.

For further details, please visit http://bit.ly/chsheffield

Edited by Jenni G

I hope boots on the ground equally reflect public opinion. My daughters and I will be there.

Good call.

Fantastic, thanks.

We're getting the message out via social media, and spreading the word as far as possible. We have a public Facebook page that anyone can join and share: https://www.facebook.com/events/383541548437467

We'll give updates as soon as we have them.

I don't understand why we are having a remembrance event here in Sheffield?

it's ok. no-one would expect YOU to understand.

to enlighten you. the event is being held to express disgust at this cowardly attack on freedom of speech, expression and democracy. values that we in the free world hold dear.

the same ideals that have allowed you to make your comment without fear of ill.

the event is being held to express disgust at this cowardly attack on freedom of speech, expression and democracy. values that we in the free world hold dear.

Well put, muckymurphy.

it's ok. no-one would expect YOU to understand.

to enlighten you. the event is being held to express disgust at this cowardly attack on freedom of speech, expression and democracy. values that we in the free world hold dear.

Where does democracy come into it?

When did we get freedom of speech in the UK?

People might have freedom of expression under European law, but there are many exceptions to this.

I can't say what I want on the forum, I have to abide by certain rules, but they are the forum's own rules.

People can be arrested for possessing certain books or documents. Hate speech has lead to many people being arrested and even jailed, for typing things on the internet.

Have the killers said why they made the attack?

Why is there remembrance for this event that happened in another country, when there are many other events ignored.

People might have freedom of expression under European law, but there are many exceptions to this.

I can't say what I want on the forum, I have to abide by certain rules, but they are the forum's own rules.

People can be arrested for possessing certain books or documents. Hate speech has lead to many people being arrested and even jailed, for typing things on the internet.

Why is there remembrance for this event that happened in another country, when there are many other events ignored.

People are arrested usually because they use freedom of speech to spread hatred and lies and incite people to murder innocent people in the very country that has taken them in and given them a better life than the one they had. If they don't want to integrate perhaps they are in the wrong country

I have friends who are French, here and abroad. The likes of Hebdo are important in a society like ours..they are a counter balance to all institutions you yourself disagree with. For me it isn't a Muslim, Islamic or any other religious thing..it's actually personal...I have the right to own a pen.

You really ought to go along with all your mates ... Oh hold on.:suspect:

I am unable to attend but my thoughts and prayers will be there along with thousands more hopefully.

I guess this could have happened anywhere(including sheffield) and still could. Maybe people just want to show solidarity and I don't see any issue with that.

As for your position, if you don't understand don't go!

It does make me laugh.Many cant even care about their neighbours next door yet watch BBC for a few hours about people in another country they had never heard of 2 days ago,repeated a few times and we all go gaga :)

But lets go and get a bit more miserable cos watching it all on tv just isnt enough......