Old Town Hall campaign

Should turn it into a museum to go with the new castle and park.

Weston Park only display 2% of their collection, so there's plenty of stuff that could go in there

Likewise in the USA and places like Poland & Germany. There are many countries that take care of their heritage. But there is also an inequality not just North/South divide but also skewed in favour of the places in more picturesque settings. There is a certain heritage snobbery I think in the UK.

Indeed there is. Us oop north apparently don't have the same cachet as places in the South East and Home Counties or the picture perfect choccy box of say the Cotswolds. In my eyes that's tosh! Dark satanic mills and heavy industry had their place in this country's heritage and as a result there are some totally stunning buildings around the place - not just in Sheffield.

Ok we're not the manufacturing country we were but it's almost as if any reminder of our past is an embarassment. Why should that be? Most of us are from hard working honest to goodness working class. No shame in that at all.

I personally am from a long line of Scottish miners and mill workers and proud of it.

A private investor bought the old mill where I'm from and let it fall into disrepair. he had no intentions of doing anything with it. Coats thread is known all over the world but the last bit standing was falling down something many of Paisley's population were very unhappy about. They still operate across the globe but sadly not in the town where they started.

The rescuer was Prince Charles who shamed those that owned it into sorting it out before it had to be pulled down so the Prince's Trust may be an avenue to explore for the OTH.

pull it down it as no historical interest to anyone unless it's those that got sent down by one of the courts. for life I am in my early 60s cannot remember it as the town hall all though I new what it as a court. as my brother was up before the judge but got of for something daft

The castle market building is a massive disgusting heap of concrete, it wasn't very well build in the first place so needs alot of work.

Utter waste of money attempting to save that building, knock it flat before any other idiots get ideas about using it.

Like a smaller version of Park Hill Flats then.

pull it down it as no historical interest to anyone unless it's those that got sent down by one of the courts. for life I am in my early 60s cannot remember it as the town hall all though I new what it as a court. as my brother was up before the judge but got of for something daft

That's the attitude that is losing us all our heritage. No of course you don't remember it as a Town Hall but that isn't a reason for knocking it down. Otherwise we'd probably be bulldozing over 1'000 buildings in Sheffield that you aren't old enough to remember what they were like when first built.

This is a Georgian Building and the biggest heritage building of that age in Sheffield. Nearest in size would be Shirle House in Nether Edge. It is a prominent building and with the demolition of the market will once again have some really great views along the river. It is at the centre of a whole cluster of Sheffield's early history. Developed and restored properly it will bring focus on Sheffield's heart, the place where Sheffield was born. Yes and I know you definitely aren't old enough to remember that.

It is central, it links by public transport to other heritage places such as Kelham Island, the Emergency Services Museum, Manor Lodge and many other places. If restored it makes an impressive image for the people who come to the hotels links the Canal Basin to the City in a historic chain. Not just a building but the heart of the city together with the castle ruins. Other cities who do look after their heritage end up with tourism. Glasgow a city the same size approximately has gone from virtually no tourism to earning a £billion through tourism this year. From Glasgows point of view that is over 20'000 jobs. So it is not just about a building that you know nothing about.

Like a smaller version of Park Hill Flats then.

A really important part of Sheffield's history are the flats along with the Market's area, the trouble is the only criteria the stone sniffers look at is that the building must be old .

As someone from that part of the world, Glasgow's buildings are indeed splendid and are looked after. Comparitively what we have here is a tiny number and all the more reason why they should be preserved and put Sheffield in a better position to attract visitors to see Sheffield itself and not just as a pass through to the Peak park (beautiful as it is).

That area of the city needs to be developed sympathetically. It's an eyesore but it could look so much better. I cringe on my way to work everyday when I pass the old Post Office in Fitzalan Square which should also be on the 'under concern' list.

Buildings don't have to be old to count but an old building that has listed status should be cared for.

That area of the city needs to be developed sympathetically. It's an eyesore but it could look so much better. I cringe on my way to work everyday when I pass the old Post Office in Fitzalan Square which should also be on the 'under concern' list.

The old post office is being developed into a languages college for international students. I'm not sure where exactly they got to with it but this building at least has a plan.

The old post office is being developed into a languages college for international students. I'm not sure where exactly they got to with it but this building at least has a plan.

That's great to hear :)

A really important part of Sheffield's history are the flats along with the Market's area, the trouble is the only criteria the stone sniffers look at is that the building must be old .

I agree with you about the flats. They may not be 200 years old but there are good logical reasons for keeping the flats besides them being listed. Many people sneer at them but there are useable and could be a great asset . At present the developers have run out of funds. To knock the flats down and rebuild would cost far more than has been spent so far plus a great waste when they could be restored. There again is heritage snobbery. It isn't 200 years old so it isn't heritage.

I agree with you about the flats. They may not be 200 years old but there are good logical reasons for keeping the flats besides them being listed. Many people sneer at them but there are useable and could be a great asset . At present the developers have run out of funds. To knock the flats down and rebuild would cost far more than has been spent so far plus a great waste when they could be restored. There again is heritage snobbery. It isn't 200 years old so it isn't heritage.

I'm not sure where you've got this from, they're actively being developed. Urban Splash will be opening up the sales office either this month or next, and flats with people moving into the flats from March. The hold up believe it or not is down to English Heritage and our beloved council not Urban Splash who have been ready to continue development since July 2013. The council have not yet set out how the next stage will work out but the developers are keen as mustard to crack on.

Things are looking up at Park Hill at the moment :)

I can't say my source. Yes I know there is problems re English Heritage though probably not of their making as the Govt has been restructuring them and cutting funding for some time. Likewise the Council has had several funding cuts. The biggest being the abolition of Yorkshire forward when this Government came into power which meant many schemes came to a halt.

Yes I do know that Urban Splash is back on track but it has been a long journey you must admit. I think the flats that have been renovated are great but if they were selling faster it is quite obvious things would not be moving as slowly as they have been. Perhaps if there wasn't so much aggression against them by certain local politicians it would help. And perhaps if more people went and had a look at the work Urban Splash are doing they would see what a great job they are doing. I know a friend went to see them at the Heritage Open Day and was very impressed.