Old Town Hall campaign

I am heartened to see that Valerie Bayliss is chairing the Friends group. I worked with her years ago and she's one very bright lady and a tough cookie when she has to be. If anyone can get a result here and save this magnificent building she's the very person.

Does Valerie still lead the historical walks around the city centre during Sheffield Environment Weeks? I've been on the walks a few times and she is (in my humble opinion) something of a local legend.

Does Valerie still lead the historical walks around the city centre during Sheffield Environment Weeks? I've been on the walks a few times and she is (in my humble opinion) something of a local legend.

Don't know for sure but wouldn't be surprised :)

Old Town Hall Campaign (BBC)

An excellent initiative in my humble opinion, buildings like this deserve a better faith.

Just pulling you up on a point of English. It should be deserves a better fate rather than faith. I realise you're Dutch and your English is actually far better than a lot of native English on this forum.

I agree, the Old Town Hall is a fabulous building, but what to do with it? It's been on the Victorian Society's list of endangered buildings for quite a few years now.

i believ (although i am not sufficiently versed in parsing the listing) that both exterior and interior are listed.

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1247500

if this is the case then a use for the building becomes a critical issue. even if the owners were persuaded to sell. i am told that it was auctioned in 2008 but the owners neglected to pay the auctioneers fees so the auction was stopped!

Valerie does still do heritage walks. I agree she is a brilliant woman and we are very privileged to have her as Chair.

Yes there is an issue about the Courtrooms as what do you do with them but they are I believe the only complete ones from that period and are similar to drawings of courts like the Old Bailey so there is possibility of film work. Also could be used as cinema lecture theatre for community groups and conferences, citizenship courses on how courts and government works. The first idea when the OTH was up for sale was that it be a nightclub and it was looked seriously at. I don't know whether those plans are still around. The person who paid for the assessment had to pull out due to lack of investment I believe.

Just pulling you up on a point of English. It should be deserves a better fate rather than faith. I realise you're Dutch and your English is actually far better than a lot of native English on this forum.

I agree, the Old Town Hall is a fabulous building, but what to do with it? It's been on the Victorian Society's list of endangered buildings for quite a few years now.

I always thought fate was just lazy American spelling? Thanks for pointing it out.

That whole area has to change before a property developer will invest millions into a mammoth refurbishment project like that.

That part of town is classed as an undesirable area so hopefully after the new offices/apartments project is progressing then someone will look to convert it into a hotel with restaurants & bars.

Its difficult to see the building utilised for anything else.

It is big enough and don't forget there is also the 1950s extension to have multi use. The council themselves on their Castlegate plans have pencilled in Gallery or Museum. Personally although I love the idea of a museum I am not sure it would bring in sufficient revenue on its own but the extension could be used for something different. I'd love to see a sort of Yorvik or York dungeons attraction down in the cells where maybe prisoners tell their story. I'd hate it to be a hotel and besides there are already a considerable number in the area, and in any case how would a hotel work round the listed interior. An ARTs centre with performance space and rehearsal rooms which could also be used for conferences?

That whole area has to change before a property developer will invest millions into a mammoth refurbishment project like that.

That part of town is classed as an undesirable area so hopefully after the new offices/apartments project is progressing then someone will look to convert it into a hotel with restaurants & bars.

Its difficult to see the building utilised for anything else.

A hotel will be a good idea so as to provide for the thousands of tourists who will flock into the Market area once the Castle has arisen from under the foundations of the Castle Market.

There is a hotel in Angel Street. 2 at the bottom of Castlegate, 4 in the Victoria Quays area and just opened is the old policestation now a hotel so 7 hotels who are not up to full capacity and who would use the Old Town Hall if it had an attraction there. ALso self catering apartments on Snig Hill. There are several more within walking distance. I don't think we need more hotels. A cheaper backpacking type hostel yes which could be part in 1950s extension maybe. A restaurant/cafe sandwich outlet and indy shops included too.Put the tourist office there too & booking office for events, and Sheffield shop selling Sheffield made goods.

Turn the Castle Coop into shopping centre like they have done with a mill in Derbyshire with lots of traders rather than one. Shared building would make it cheaper for smaller traders who find usual rent & rates too high.

I have visited Australia a couple of times and they have Victorian buildings (not as many as we have - no surprises there) but what they do have are not left to go to rack and ruin. They are very keen to preserve their heritage and buildings of this age are used for all sorts of things. It's sad that the powers that be here don't share their philosophy. So many buildings of this age in our city centre being left to decay. :(

Likewise in the USA and places like Poland & Germany. There are many countries that take care of their heritage. But there is also an inequality not just North/South divide but also skewed in favour of the places in more picturesque settings. There is a certain heritage snobbery I think in the UK.