Longest terrace house row in Sheffield?

Which road in Sheffield has the longest terrace house row?

I don't know the answer, but it's good to see this sort of thread instead of some of the usual rubbish.

I don't know the answer, but it's good to see this sort of thread instead of some of the usual rubbish.

It ought to be in the history/expats section. The steepest hill in Sheffield thread on there is 40 odd pages long.

I was thinking longest in physical length, but I'm curious about both now you've mentioned it.

I think also you need to define "terrace" as well... and if ginnels are permitted..

Staniforth view Road is 298m from end to end. But... I can find one in Firth Park that's longer - if you go down Bolsover street to Firth Park road then up Idsworth street that's 400m and is a continuous block, bar a couple of ginnels. But it's not all a single terrace to my mind.

So I'd define "terrace" first... to me a terrace has the following properties..

1. All built from the same material - so the same colour and type of brick/stone/block

2. Built as one unit at the same time to the same design (excepting the end houses which will be different from the centre)

3. It must have a continuous roofline. If you have a garage block separating two housing blocks to my mind that's two terrances.

4. Ginnels do not interrupt the terrace line provided that... a) the roofline on each side is substantivly at the same height, and b) you cannot reasonably expect to see anything other than foot traffic passing up and down them.

5. It should be built as private dwellings, self contained houses, maisonettes, or flats with no more than two stories (otherwise Park Hill just wins hands down...)

With that, I think that SVR wins hands down, and I cannot find anything close.

south view road?

No, the longer side, where I lived, is broken up by Rampton Road, which runs between SVR, and Albany Road, and, if I remember rightly, there is a gennel that runs through about halfway down, so it isn't a continuous run.

I think also you need to define "terrace" as well... and if ginnels are permitted..

Staniforth view Road is 298m from end to end. But... I can find one in Firth Park that's longer - if you go down Bolsover street to Firth Park road then up Idsworth street that's 400m and is a continuous block, bar a couple of ginnels. But it's not all a single terrace to my mind.

1. All built from the same material - so the same colour and type of brick/stone/block

2. Built as one unit at the same time to the same design (excepting the end houses which will be different from the centre)

3. It must have a continuous roofline. If you have a garage block separating two housing blocks to my mind that's two terrances.

4. Ginnels do not interrupt the terrace line provided that... a) the roofline on each side is substantivly at the same height, and b) you cannot reasonably expect to see anything other than foot traffic passing up and down them.

5. It should be built as private dwellings, self contained houses, maisonettes, or flats with no more than two stories (otherwise Park Hill just wins hands down...)

Thanks you really have thought this through.

Yes to all of the above.

What's SVR?

2, I don't think part this is a valid definition, because many of the terraces were built by small builders, who would build a few at a time and with the money raised build the next batch, therefore they were not built as one unit. Different builders can be responsible for different sections of a terrace. Have a close look at Stannington View and you will see this. Similar design and materials would do for me - they were not all built at exactly the same time, nor are they all exactly the same design.

3, again, look at Stannington View, it has three extra wide passages (for horse and cart) - they were never called gimmels so the foot traffic does not work. Lets say any passage must be covered by an upper story.

Otherwise fair enough.

There were some long brick terraces in Upperthorpe before they were demolished and there are still some long roads full of terraces in Walkley - Burgoyne Road. Duncombe Street et. Can't remember if these are interrupted or not, I must go and have a look.

Linden road in Ecclesfield is a continuous terrace of about 10 houses

Which road in Sheffield has the longest terrace house row?

it's got to be in either Attercliffe, darnel, or hillsbourgh