Paris shooting. 17 dead

I think the question asked " if you wanted to become a citizen here" Pete, I would imagine there are other oaths you can swear to affirm your loyalty to the country.

He definitely said all RR.

If push come to shove,I would stand up and fight for/with the citizens of the U.K if needed be,but it certainly wouldn't be in the name of any God or family crest :D

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 17:06 ----------

R.I.P to all involved.

One issue we have when dealing with such terrorist attacks and threats is that we are constantly told by the left wing media (in particularly the BBC) and the PC politicians that these terrorists Islamic fundamentalists are a minority and that most Muslims are moderate Muslims. This makes it very difficult to combat fundamental Islam as it's apparently not Islam, just insane individuals using its name.

However you have to ask how true this is. Are moderate, peaceful Muslims the huge majority that the BBC say they are? Well I'm not so sure. Sam Harris touches on this in 'The End of Faith'. He uses Pew research to suggest that moderate Muslims are actually the minority and he raises an interesting point.

If moderate Muslims really want to distance themselves from such attacks where are the moderate Muslim protestors? Where are the public shows of solidarity? Do you think that the large majority of Muslims want free speech and freedom of press if it may go against their religion? Do you think moderate Muslims want people to be able to print pictures of Mohammad or do you think they are happy such acts are being punished by violence?

From everything I've read I think majority moderate Islam is a myth. They may not all be shooting people in the streets but they also very much do not want you to be free to question their religion.

Read Sam Harris and educate yourselves.

Not sure I wanna do any of that there readin' but there were several (no doubt carefully selected) 5live callers who were more than happy to curtail freedom of speech because they didn't want Mohammed drawn or slagged off.

This thread seems to have moved away from the awful events in Paris and turned into a petty argument.As usual.

Anyone who professes a religion of any kind is being violent. This is because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself in this way it breeds violence.

So to understand these people properly you need to separate yourself from any form of religion and try to understand mankind.

The reason people are being slaughtered all over the world is religion, particularly Islam. A religion that glorifies in death, subjugates women and "non believers". Ensures its adherents are incapable of maintaining other than basic agricultural practices and stagnant economies in the lands where its writ runs.

Religion is a curse upon mankind, Islam is its latest manifestation and its worst.

This thread seems to have moved away from the awful events in Paris and turned into a petty argument.As usual.

That's called the anfisa effect.

Was it just reported that the 5 killed in the grocery were killed at the start of the siege and not when it ended?

I just hope this whole tragic event isn't going to be used as an excuse for the government to pry on our personal information.

However you have to ask how true this is. Are moderate, peaceful Muslims the huge majority that the BBC say they are? Well I'm not so sure. Sam Harris touches on this in 'The End of Faith'. He uses Pew research to suggest that moderate Muslims are actually the minority and he raises an interesting point.

If moderate Muslims really want to distance themselves from such attacks where are the moderate Muslim protestors? Where are the public shows of solidarity? Do you think that the large majority of Muslims want free speech and freedom of press if it may go against their religion? Do you think moderate Muslims want people to be able to print pictures of Mohammad or do you think they are happy such acts are being punished by violence?

Perhaps we only see what we want to see? I saw numerous news reports of Muslims condemning these terrorists and taking part in the vigils in Paris over the last few days.

But frankly why should 'moderate Muslims' be required to 'protest' just to placate your sensitivities? Did you demand that the 'moderate' right wing took to the streets beating their chests after the murderous antics of Anders Breivik? As much as Ive crossed swords with the right wing in the past it would be ridiculous to associate them with a terrorist who appears to represent their interests.

This playful piece from The Independent might interest you http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/charlie-hebdo-how-exactly-would-we-like-muslims-to-condemn-these-attacks-9966176.html?cmpid=facebook-post

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded half an hour in a darkened room with these terrorists and my baseball bat for company, they've placed your children at greater risk, mine too as well as billions of peace loving Muslims, Jews, Christians and atheists across the world.

RIP to all the innocent who've lost their lives this week for absolutely no reason.

Edited by boyfriday

I just hope this whole tragic event isn't going to be used as an excuse for the government to pry on our personal information.

They can pry on our personal information if it helps them to keep the population safe.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 17:32 ----------

Perhaps we only see what we want to see? I saw numerous news reports of Muslims condemning these terrorists and taking part in the vigils in Paris over that last few days.

But frankly why should 'moderate Muslims' be required to 'protest' just to placate your sensitivities? Did you demand that the 'moderate' right wing took to the streets beating their chests after the murderous antics of Anders Breivik? As much as Ive crossed swords with the right wing in the past it would be ridiculous to associate them with a terrorist who appears to represent their interests.

This playful piece from The Independent might interest you http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/charlie-hebdo-how-exactly-would-we-like-muslims-to-condemn-these-attacks-9966176.html?cmpid=facebook-post

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded half an hour in a darkened room with these terrorists and my baseball bat for company, they've placed your children at greater risk, mine too as well as billions of peace loving Muslims, Jews, Christians and atheists across the world.

RIP to all the innocent who've lost their lives this week for absolutely no reason.

They should not have to but it would be in their interest to do so.

Also the religious extremists are not going to take any notice of you and I, but they might take notice if over a billion Muslim stood in opposition of them.

Edited by anfisa

They can pry on our personal information if it helps them to keep the population safe.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 17:32 ----------

They should not have to but it would be in their interest to do so.

Also the religious extremists are not going to take any notice of you and I, but they might take notice if over a billion Muslim stood in opposition of them.

Do you think so? I don't think a bunch of football hooligans would stop if the rest of the supporters said stop. Police and legislation did it - and they haven't won totally now.

Do you think so? I don't think a bunch of football hooligans would stop if the rest of the supporters said stop. Police and legislation did it - and they haven't won totally now.

I would not compare football hooligan to people of faith.