Paris shooting. 17 dead

Is it wise for francois hollande to visit the scene so soon after the incident? the culprits are still at large and how do they know that one of them isn't sitting tight at the scene still. Or what if a bomb goes of there.

That's one step less radical than believing people should die because of satire...quite ironic really.

No irony there at all. Let me put it plainly. Anyone who thinks these animals were in any way justified in killing these innocent people then they should be locked away until they rot for the safety of everyone around them.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 12:39 ----------

Is there some irony there?

That seems a popular word on here today.

Anyone who thinks they were asking for it should be locked up and the key thrown away

That's one step less radical than believing people should die because of satire...quite ironic really.
I don't really see the holier-than-thou point: Charlie Hebdo was "asking for it" in the sense that, just like Salman Rushdie got himself a fatwah BITD but not other writers, that magazine had long been antagonizing extremists/fundamentalists deliberately (for journalistic purposes, and given the satirical nature of the magazine).

Accordingly they were more likely to become a target of such a terrorist attack than other, non-satirical, non-antagonising magazines. They got Molotov'd in 2011 and have long had police protection (besides all the journalists and employees killed, RIP to the 2 policemen providing the said protection at the time, wounded and finished off on the ground according to reports).

'It' should never have happened, that goes without saying. I daren't begin to think what this is going to do to inter-communities relations and for the nascent intolerance growing in much of Western Europe.

Edited by L00b

I don't really see the holier-than-thou point: Charlie Hebdo was "asking for it" in the sense that, just like Salman Rushdie got himself a fatwah BITD but not other writers, that magazine had long been antagonizing extremists/fundamentalists deliberately (for journalistic purposes, and given the satirical nature of the magazine).

Accordingly they were more likely to become a target of such a terrorist attack than other, non-satirical, non-antagonising magazines. They got Molotov'd in 2011 and have long had police protection (besides all the journalists and employees killed, RIP to the 2 policemen providing the said protection at the time, wounded and finished off on the ground according to reports).

'It' should never have happened, that goes without saying. I daren't begin to think what this is going to do to inter-communities relations and for the nascent intolerance growing in much of Western Europe.

Its a scary situation for us all to be in. RIP to the dead and i sincerely hope the toll dosent ride.

Why do Muslims do these things?

Its a minority, but they don't realise that it affects the majority when they do such stupid things.

Its so ironic that middle eastern countries can burn flags and chant "death to America" and we just brush it off.

Why do Muslims do these things? So childish, next they'll be claiming everyone is unfair to them (whilst burning flags, etc)! And then other Muslims will denounce these prevalent Muslims as non Muslims, lets be honest, Islam has a serious problem they need to sort out and not simply claim Islam is peaceful, because its clearly not!

Can't wait for the apologists to turn up and defend these idiots!

Tbh, i dont think anyone would seriously post defending their actions. They are indefensible. People may wish to defend the religion and thats their choice but i doubt anyone on here would be pleased at what has happened today.

This is what happens when you accommodate adults believing in fairy tales.

Wonder what fantastic "#illridewithyou" kind of hash tag will emerge from this one.

OMG! Sky have just shown almost all of the lead up to the execution of an innocent policeman. Yes they blurred the person out and no you you dont see him die but it leaves nothing to the imagination. As im typing this its now been shown 5 times in a row. This is SKY ats its best. SICK!! and im never watching it again,

RIP officer :(

I've only just heard about the incident so I went on Youtube, searched Paris shooting (looking for a brief news clip) and the video I opened was phone graphic phone footage of one of the executions in the street.

Before I realised what I was watching it had already happened, awful stuff.

Condolences for the families and France as a whole today.

Wonder what fantastic "#illridewithyou" kind of hash tag will emerge from this one.

What does that mean?

I've only just heard about the incident so I went on Youtube, searched Paris shooting (looking for a brief news clip) and the video I opened was phone graphic phone footage of one of the executions in the street.

Before I realised what I was watching it had already happened, awful stuff.

Condolences for the families and France as a whole today.

I feel sympathy for you mate. I only saw the edited SKY version and ill be honest i felt physically sick. My beef with SKY though was mainly them showing it on a loop but claiming the moral high ground by saying they have stopped the footage at the 'crucial moment'. I switched over after i typed my post and when i changed channel it had looped about 6 times. It was complete overkill.

Awful news. Not really surprising either (but not sure at all that it could have been prevented anyway). Charlie Hebdo (satirical, bit like Private Eye but more irreverent) has long had form needling wahabis.

This is going to turn very ugly in the suburbs, mark my words. The Police are going to go in heaviest-handed, with the Gvt in cover-up mode set to stun :(

EDIT: French new sources (reputable: Le Monde, L'Express) claim the 2 terrorists also had an RPG.

I fear you are right, its a powder keg at the best of times, but this could really set the right wing off as it will the muslim population.

Not a civil war, but its getting closer.