Paris shooting. 17 dead

Cartoons are drawn to shine a light on the buffoons, the hypocrites, the idiots. Those who are in power but can be pointed at and laughed at. Remember spitting image with it's "The President's Brain Is Missing". The US were apparently upset...but at least they didn't bomb us.

Anyway, as Steve Bell says...if they want us to stop laughing at them, they've done a bad job

Tricky subject this free speech malarkey. You seem to only want it to apply to people that you agree with.

It is Sibon- "Total freedom of speech is ludicrous" according to Martin Rowson the author and cartoonist.

That was said by him on a Channel 4 news item earlier.

It was only a short studio discussion with him and Will Self, but they certainly made some interesting points.

"Should satire only target people in power" http://www.channel4.com/news/will-self-martin-rowson-cartoon-charlie-hebdo-satire-video

I'm not justifying or making excuses of any kind I'm explaining that there are Extremists out there who do kill over cartoons.

Nothing can justify these tragic deaths so stop trying to make out as if I am.

What is your view on the Four Lions film from a few years ago that mocked Islamic Terrorists. ?

I have been totally dismayed to listen to many UK Muslims interviewed in the media about the Charlie Hebdo massacre blame the victims and state that criticism of Islam should not be allowed. Without doubt Muslims are not to blame for this, and neither is their religion, but this narcissistic attachment to dogma is. It needs to change.

Which Muslims would these be? Do you have any names or direct quotes? Any links to said Muslims?

As as said there have been many. The latest I heard was this morning on Radio 4, with comments and views from Muslims in High Wycombe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xfc1c

Or just watch Newsnight now.

I find some of these views abhorrent, offensive even. But my offence is of less importance than religious offence apparently.

Mafya thinks that drawing cartoons is wrong. He is free to declare it is wrong for himself, arguably for fellow Muslims, but not for the rest of us. To decree it to be wrong for others is to provide an excuse for nutters who might agree. To decree that it is wrong merely because it might enrage extremists is a threat to stop.

Besides, why the assumption that cartoons are published just to offend. Isn't it valid to think that the reason for the cartoons is closer to that given by Ryedo40 or taxman above? It has to be the hallmark of some sort of aggressive narcissism to believe that somebody published a cartoon just to offend you.

To make a single excuse or justification of any kind is al most as good as flying the flag from your bedroom window.

One of the good things that has happened under the current government is that it has become legal to fly whatever flag you want in the UK.

What flag do you refer to anyhow?

I never said they should be banned I said that drawing cartoons to offend is wrong.

I myself don't give a flying toss if someone draws a cartoon and says that it is the Prophet of Islam because it doesn't bother me in the slightest but there are extremists out there that will kill over a cartoon.

If they are willing to kill over a ''cartoon'' they'll surely kill over something else they dont like either i would imagine. All in the name of Islam.

What is your view on the Four Lions film from a few years ago that mocked Islamic Terrorists. ?

Rubber dingy rapids bro! :hihi::hihi:

One of the good things that has happened under the current government is that it has become legal to fly whatever flag you want in the UK.

What flag do you refer to anyhow?

Awwww. Bless. The flag wasn't literal :hihi:

yeah yeah whatever......:rolleyes:

But do muslims believe these gunmen are now in heaven collecting their rewards?

Guest sibon
But do muslims believe these gunmen are now in heaven collecting their rewards?

Almost certainly not.

I imagine that most of them think that they are dead. Most of them are almost certainly glad of that fact.

I said cartoons drawn to offend, is English not your first language as it seems you can't even read my post properly? :rolleyes:

You get really rude when questioned dont you.

Almost certainly not.

I imagine that most of them think that they are dead. Most of them are almost certainly glad of that fact.

I was asking the muslims. Not their excuse makers.