Fleas On Cat Advice

Indorex spray works really well, but you do need to be very careful applying it in terms of breathing it, protecting the animals etc. It's organophosphate based and kills everything including house dust mites for a year. Once it's on and dried, air your house thoroughly to remove the risk to fish tanks and the like, but bear in mind that if you are a reptile or insect keeper it will continue to be a risk to them after this time.

As far as spot on stuff for killing the fleas on the cats I'd go for Advantage, Advocate or Stronghold (both of the latter are prescription only though), and there are several cheaper generic versions of Advantage about which seem to work well too. Clear Spot contains the same amounts of the same ingredients as Advantage but costs about 25% less per dose.

Good luck on getting the creepy crawlies killed :)

Oh- and since there are only 4 doses per pack which are individually sealed, I'd go with one pack of each strength, because you'll still use both packs before the summer :)

Do not put an higher dose on the smaller cat, you really need both sizes. Indorex house spray is good stuff

Or just don't apply all of it.

Make more sense to buy one of each size, Advantage comes in smaller size as well as the one in the link. One of each is still cheaper than frontline and it actually works!

Thank you everyone for being so helpful! I will stock up and declare war on my day off on Friday!

K

I can second that a dose of Advocate is the best thing. Ours were suddenly crawling with fleas the other week, don't know where from!

Anyway we dosed them (dog and cats) up with Advocate, washed all their and our bedding, thoroughly vacuumed everywhere (then threw the bag away), then sprayed the whole house with Indorex.

We got the Advocate and Indorex from our vets as it was the only place we could get it from straight away on a Sunday afternoon so it was expensive but very worth it.

We had to use different sized doses for our cats as our female is very small - she comes in the small cat or ferret category!

Sorted it out right away :) Good luck!

Remember regular frontline available at the chemists etc isn't the same as frontline combo which is only available from the vets (as it contains an extra ingredient to sterilise the flea before killing it, therefore breaking the cycle. There are a selection of treatments available though such as BroadLine or Comfortis, but I personally would only use veterinary products as they're prescription only and tend to be stronger.

Indorex or RIP fleas are good sprays, follow directions on the can to the letter and wash any bedding etc on a 60 degree wash.

Also it'd be worth nipping to your vets and getting a wormer as cats and dogs can contract tapeworm from fleas (through ingestion when grooming)

After many years of useing frontline got fedup with fleas returning after a couple of weeks i called at the PDSA who recommended Stronghold i have found i only have to use this about every six weeks and all three cats have very little trouble from flease for about the last eight months

we have always use stronghold and indorex and never had a flea problem be careful buying shop products it might not work then you have wasted money and the poor cats are still suffering.