Tree felling on Myrtle Road

I don't know why you're getting so aerated at me given I don't have a problem with the trees but I'd rather they were cared for so they don't end up like our beech trees did

I'm not getting aerated at you ann :)

Some of your ideas tho, I really take issue with.

I love trees. The bigger, the older, the better

And I value them more than property

The excuses I've heard on here for felling the old guard, are just nonsense, basically :shakes:

I'm not getting aerated at you ann :)

Some of your ideas tho, I really take issue with.

I love trees. The bigger, the older, the better

And I value them more than property

The excuses I've heard on here for felling the old guard, are just nonsense, basically :shakes:

Like trees myself and you can take issue as much as you like because you aren't going to change my mind. I see nothing wrong in the trees in an urban environment being properly looked after as it will prolong their life if they are. I see nothing attractive about the prospect of badly maintained trees representing a danger not just to property but to people. If any of the trees I'm looking out at currently was to fall down no matter which way they fell they represent a danger to life.

Cutting trees down just for the sake of it is something I am very much not in favour of. Looking after them however I do support.

Cutting trees down just for the sake of it is something I am very much not in favour of

I'm glad we're in agreement Ann

This is what has been happening in Sheffield, in recent times

This is what is getting me as mad as hell :rant:

I have requested a freedom of information report from the Council and there is no record of them either requesting or authorising the removal of these trees. Given that it looks as though the managing agent for the estate is the culprit but they are denying all knowledge as these actions were illegal and carry risk of prosecution.

I have requested a freedom of information report from the Council and there is no record of them either requesting or authorising the removal of these trees. Given that it looks as though the managing agent for the estate is the culprit but they are denying all knowledge as these actions were illegal and carry risk of prosecution.

Is it possible they were simply stolen i.e. cut down for wood?

I doubt that they were stolen for their timber. The trees, whilst being 30 year old, were set Ash trees and not that substantial. A lot of effort for very little wood. Also when I spoke to the guys felling the trees, they seemed genuine professional tree fellers who knew what they were doing. if they'd have wanted the wood I think they would have felled the lot.

From what I can gather Councillor Jack Scott is still investigating this matter but I've a feeling he's going to get nowhere fast!! :)

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 11:37 ----------

On another vein, anybody interested in saving the trees on Prospect Road from being felled for an unwanted bus lane, their is a public meeting on Tuesday 17 February 2015, 7.30pm at The Heeley Institute on Gleadless Road. All invited to come and have your say.

Can we make a freedom of info request to Viewpoint Management Company?

Can we make a freedom of info request to Viewpoint Management Company?

Only if they are a public sector funded organisation

Hi fanfa I'm afraid MJ01 is right, freedom of information only covers public sector funded organisations. I think the only way that we could get to look at Viewpoint Management Company records would be through the courts and I'm not sure there is enough evidence for that. This is looking as though an illegal act has been carried out but i'm unsure as to whether or not the Council has the resources to chase it up. I'll email Councillor Jack Scott and see what he has to say.

Are you coming to the public meeting about saving the trees on Prospect Road?

Hi fanfa I'm afraid MJ01 is right, freedom of information only covers public sector funded organisations. I think the only way that we could get to look at Viewpoint Management Company records would be through the courts and I'm not sure there is enough evidence for that. This is looking as though an illegal act has been carried out but i'm unsure as to whether or not the Council has the resources to chase it up. I'll email Councillor Jack Scott and see what he has to say.

Are you coming to the public meeting about saving the trees on Prospect Road?

I've sued Taylor Wimpey before (as a resident of the Viewpoint development), and they cave rather easily I have to say, although being a lawyer certainly helped.

In terms of FOI requests, TW aren't a public body, but there is a way that this information could be requested and obtained.

Basically, if you are suggesting that an illegal act has been committed (I don't know whether that's correct), there's potential civil action that could be taken. You could argue that there's been some form of nuisance or other tort that has taken place, and you're then considering legal action against that company for civil damages. Perfectly reasonable.

Your course of action then is a pre-action disclosure application to the Court, arguing that you need that information to assess the merits of the claim. Without the information, you don't know whether the claim has merits or not. The further basis of the application is that if the information is provided, and there is no claim, then the Court's time won't be wasted. Judges love that argument.

As a potential Party to a civil action (they're potentially the Defendant if you can find an arguable tort), then you have every right to make the application, and I would strongly suspect that TW would cave and give you the information you require.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Thanks for that Moosey. I wouldn't feel confident about taking this course of action but I have passed your comments on Councillor Jack Scott to see what he makes of it. I have a feeling we're flogging a dead horse but will keep going!!

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 11:45 ----------

Anybody interested what the proposed changes are for the road widening and which trees near the farm are to be felled, , then come along to the farm tomorrow morning (Saturday 14 February 2015) at 11am; meet by the post-box on Anne's Road next to the farm entrance.