Tree felling on Myrtle Road

Thanks, Morrisminor...the link re Gleadless valley is broken! Coincidence?!

Update

Jack Scott has been investigating this matter

The Housing dept did not sanction this work.

Sheffield CC claim they did not chop the trees.

I can't find any residents who complained about the trees.

There is a suggestion the management company of the flats may have done it but this is simply because we're running out of people it could possibly me!

SCC and Mr Scott will be checking to see if Amey are responsible. It appears that if they are they are in breach of something or other and SCC may seek damages

I hope I've got all that right!!

Thanks for this Fanfa!

Let's see some heads roll!!

:rant:

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:18 ----------

:cry: :cry:

I would seriously consider MURDERING tree killers

Who the **** do they think they are???

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:20 ----------

can i implore you to get yourselves acquainted with the Streets Ahead project. Amey, contracted to SCC, are to renew every highway* in Sheffield city boundary. this includes renewal of trees on the public highway**.

this is alongside streetlighting, road ("carriageway") and pavement ("footway") renewal - i.e. refurbishment.

Amey are contracted to carry out full renewal of the highway within a certain time frame. thereafter they are to maintain the highways within the PFI contract period. They are currently tackling the renewal works now, categorising the city by zones, and types of roads. the schedule map is here which shows (roughly!!!***) the timing of their works.,

the section on trees is here https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/report_request/plants/trees.html . Amey should hold roadshows in advance of any works in a new zone. It is really important to go to these if you can and raise the issue of possible tree replacement. make it clear that you want to know what is planned and you may challenge their decisions on what constitutes a tree that needs replacing.

getting involved early doesnt mean success (if you are looking to stop trees getting replaced). but wthout it there is little chance at all. dont forget that whilst for many the trees are an asset to be retained - whose value increases with their age**** for some they are a problem - for example people whose path on the footway is obstructed by overgrown roots.

in this case (myrtle road) these seem not to be highway trees, or indeed it is a mystery. but can we use this opportunity to spread the word about this project which depsite its massive reach (works across the entire city!!!) seems breathtakingly little known about.

* yes, this does not mean they will renew everything as we now know - they take decisions alongside SCC as to what needs replacing.

** you may not know what this term actually means. heres a detailed overview! http://uk.practicallaw.com/2-516-8168

*** yes, this is now very out of date it seems

**** this reflects my personal view

If anyone harms ANY of our trees.....

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:22 ----------

for example people whose path on the footway is obstructed by overgrown roots

If you think this is good enough reason to fell a tree, Morris

God help your children

Edited by Solomon1

Thanks for this Fanfa!

Let's see some heads roll!!

:rant:

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:18 ----------

:cry: :cry:

I would seriously consider MURDERING tree killers

Who the **** do they think they are???

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:20 ----------

If anyone harms ANY of our trees.....

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:22 ----------

If you think this is good enough reason to fell a tree, Morris

God help your children

Hyperbole alert.

Professional 'hippies' for rent, £100 per day per 'hippy'. Will occupy trees indefinitely, require daily visits by somebody capable of hanging a bucket on a hook on the end of some rope attached to a pulley system, so food, drink, hashish and human waste can be supplied and removed as required.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 11:56 ----------

Sad to see trees being chopped down, many of which don't seem to have anything wrong with them at all.

The only reason I think they could use to justify some of the felling would be safety, having seen a main rd where I used to live without trees, it is clear that visibility is increased without the trees.

If I had one near to me, I'd be tempted to climb up it and refuse to come down. Ring the Sheffield Star to come out for a photo op and story (or just email them a photo etc.) and get a save the tree campaign going, which would no doubt lead to me being called a tree hugger by my chums for another decade.

This is about 3/4 mile away from thej unction where the Bus lane is going to be. At the top of the hill by the new development

Seems it was the management company, nothing to do with Amey/SCC but that doesnt let them off the hook as they should throw the book at these idiots and make them pay for new trees to be installed to replace what has gone

Seems it was the management company, nothing to do with Amey/SCC but that doesnt let them off the hook as they should throw the book at these idiots and make them pay for new trees to be installed to replace what has gone

I guess it's these trees, still visible on google streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/oyfaz

Even if those trees are part of the development, it's still inconsiderate of the management company to pull them down - it's not like they're massive leylandii or something, they look like nice healthy ash trees, and the place is worse off without them. Very poor.

Edited by vincentb
clarification

Hyperbole alert

:hihi:

I feel rather strongly about this topic!

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 16:13 ----------

Professional 'hippies' for rent, £100 per day per 'hippy'. Will occupy trees indefinitely, require daily visits by somebody capable of hanging a bucket on a hook on the end of some rope attached to a pulley system, so food, drink, hashish and human waste can be supplied and removed as required.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 11:56 ----------

Sad to see trees being chopped down, many of which don't seem to have anything wrong with them at all.

If I had one near to me, I'd be tempted to climb up it and refuse to come down. Ring the Sheffield Star to come out for a photo op and story (or just email them a photo etc.) and get a save the tree campaign going, which would no doubt lead to me being called a tree hugger by my chums for another decade.

:love:...............

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 16:14 ----------

This is about 3/4 mile away from thej unction where the Bus lane is going to be. At the top of the hill by the new development

:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 16:15 ----------

I guess it's these trees, still visible on google streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/oyfaz

Even if those trees are part of the development, it's still inconsiderate of the management company to pull them down - it's not like they're massive leylandii or something, they look like nice healthy ash trees, and the place is worse off without them. Very poor.

Indeed :shakes:

Edited by Solomon1

A few discreetly placed nails with the heads sawn off would do minimal damage to the tree but might ruin their chainsaws, so of course, you shouldn't do that.

A few discreetly placed nails with the heads sawn off would do minimal damage to the tree but might ruin their chainsaws, so of course, you shouldn't do that.

You are not the first to mention this to me ;)

Thank you, fellow tree lover :)

The Management company tell me in a voicemail that they nothing about the trees

I am now worried. I'm on Psalter Lane and we have well established lime trees (the lime is on their list of species they'd plant). However they've not been well cared for in the 23 years I've lived here so I hope they're not for the proverbial chop.

Much as they are a nuisance in some ways - mess from leaves, sticky yuck in summer everywhere, cast a lot of shade on the front of our houses and the grass verges are also a mess (tho that's not all down to the trees, more bad maintenance) - I still wouldn't want to be rid of them.

We're at the end of the so called road improvements so can only hope by then that they may have learned a thing or two along the way.

They were starting at the bottom of Myrtle Road, opposite the farm, around 15 minutes ago :(