Tree felling on Myrtle Road

I woke this morning to the sound of three beautiful trees being felled in the side of Myrtle Road!!! I am devastated! They were so beautiful and me and my little girl loved watching the changing seasons through them and all the bird life within.

Why have the council removed them? The guys cutting them down said they were blocking the view of people living in the flats! Well I live in the flats and they were part of my beautiful view!!! My view has now been destroyed!!

Does anyone know anything about the council's tree felling agenda? And why do it in a Sunday morning? So no one can ring up and complain?

Edited by fanfa

I woke this morning to the sound of three beautiful trees being felled in the side of Myrtle Road!!! I am devastated! They were so beautiful and me and my little girl loved watching the changing seasons through them and all the bird life within.

Why have the council removed them? The guys cutting them down said they were blocking the view of people living in the flats! Well I live in the flats and they were part of my beautiful view!!! My view has now been destroyed!!

Does anyone know anything about the council's tree felling agenda? And why do it in a Sunday morning? So no one can ring up and complain?

Hi fanfa

So sorry to hear about the trees. There have been few threads on here about tree felling across the city and I believe it is a council policy to fell old diseased trees, although I don't have a link to this.

I have suggested in the past that there must be money to be made in this by selling to biomass incinerators, but have been told previously on the forum that this isn't the case and new trees are planted elsewhere.

Near where I live we had a lovely old tree, it didn't seem diseased or blocking any view or causing a nuisance. Once a notice went up to remove the tree several residents objected. The tree was removed like yours on a Sunday morning.

Once you start looking you will notice the amount of trees being removed. I use Penistone Road and Wooley Wood Bottom as examples. I find upsetting but no doubt I will be reminded that it is progress.

Always reminds me of that old song about a parking lot.

Best Wishes

Edited by mda03cn
autocorrected

Thank you for your reply

These trees didn't look diseased. They were beautiful

There has been no notice up about their proposed removal.

The fellers have now gone and the road looks forlorn

Ridiculous to get so upset about a group of trees but they really were beautiful and a part of our daily routine!

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 11:26 ----------

I found this in The Star. http://m.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-all-set-to-axe-1-250-roadside-trees-1-5587392

Again it says a notice should be pinned to the tree - it wasn't in this instance.

Wonder if it's anything to do with the fact Myrtle Road is one of the streets that will no longer be gritted in snowy conditions?

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 11:31 ----------

Seems it's been done before without notice

Perhaps our trees were damaging the road or pavement (far underneath where no one could see)?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-944562.html

Hi I also live on Myrtle Road and may have spoken with Fanfa this morning. I have emailed 5 councilors about this and requested through the Freedom of Information Act details of where the request to fell the trees came from and who made the decision.

I believe that Amey are at the back of this. It seems to be their mission to rid Sheffield of as many trees as possible in order to cut maintenance costs. If this carries on we will soon lose the title of the greenest city in Europe.

I am really angry about what is going on. We need to stand up and say NO MORE!!!

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 12:18 ----------

I can't see them not gritting Myrtle Road in the future - it's a main thoroughfare. Also there was nothing wrong with these trees other than they were in the wrong place. Makes me wonder how many back-handers have gone into Sheffield City Council?

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 12:20 ----------

Fanfa you need to email the local councilors - Julie Dore, Mike Drabble and Jack Scott to complain about this and to ensure that the remaining 6 trees aren't felled.

Hi, Spoonster

I was the one leaning out of my bedroom window!

This is where I got wind of the not gritting info...http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/100-miles-of-sheffield-roads-will-not-be-gritted-1-6646811

I have emailed Heeley Development Trust and have left a message with the management company of the flats to double check the complaint hasn't come from 'us'. Can't see how it will have done - the trees were outside of the management company's remit - it was just an easy thing for the workman to say, to blame us

Well there plan failed last week then didn't it when the gritter wagon came out in the snow. I don't see how they can't grit Myrtle Road, it's a well used road and SO steep!!

Amey, the company contracted to run council services, are at the back of all this. Just cosy cutting. Makes my blood boil!!

I don't for one minute think the complaint has come from the residents, its a council thing. that's why you need to email the councilors. if you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the email that I have sent.

Any trees removed as part of the Streets Ahead project have to be replaced by at least one tree. Many of the highway trees have outgrown their environment and are causing structural damage to roads, footways and property boundaries. Any tree removed has to be approved by the council.

Am so gutted for you fanfa :cry:

I LOVE big old trees :love:

Really so sad....

Are the fellers Marishall Thompson by any chance?

COMPLAIN!!!!!! :rant::rant::rant:

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 14:31 ----------

Hi I also live on Myrtle Road and may have spoken with Fanfa this morning. I have emailed 5 councilors about this and requested through the Freedom of Information Act details of where the request to fell the trees came from and who made the decision.

I believe that Amey are at the back of this. It seems to be their mission to rid Sheffield of as many trees as possible in order to cut maintenance costs. If this carries on we will soon lose the title of the greenest city in Europe.

I am really angry about what is going on. We need to stand up and say NO MORE!!!

With you 100% Spooner

So effin mad about all the trees that have gone in the last few years....

Do you know if Amey are responsible for Rotherham aswell?

Because there was a beautiful avenue of mature trees that has been completely hacked - without warning or a reason :rant:

I honestly can't believe that Sheffield all of a sudden has hundreds of diseased, old trees or trees that are causing structural damage. I somehow knew Amey would be responsible somewhere along the line.

So does anyone know where this forest of saplings is that have replaced the old trees?

Have now emailed my complaint to Jack Scott

I honestly can't believe that Sheffield all of a sudden has hundreds of diseased, old trees or trees that are causing structural damage. I somehow knew Amey would be responsible somewhere along the line.

So does anyone know where this forest of saplings is that have replaced the old trees?

Am so with you on this mda!

Where did Amey come from???

Hell?! :rant:

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 16:20 ----------

Have now emailed my complaint to Jack Scott

Who's he fanfa?

and :thumbsup:

Just spoken with Mr Scott - he knew nothing about it and assures me he will be investigating.

Shame it is too late for the already felled trees but let's hope the rest can be saved