Shiny Sheff at Lodge Moor

So has it closed down again?

No, got a cover manager in at the moment - still open as normal.

was only in there 2 weeks ago and had a meal..it was ok, staff were a bit miserable though

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 10:53 ----------

Karaoke is old hat. It's been done to death. Time to move on.

HERE HERE.. you are so right there

Dipped our toes in the waters tonight and went to the Sheff for a meal. Food very mediocre and to be honest sub Wetherspoons. I had two feeble smoked haddock pancakes, rustic chips that were just like McCain frozen steak chips and bullet peas as many on trip advisor have experienced.

We didn't go for the 2 for £10 meals and ordered a little late but to be honest I would rather pay more for a better meal.

Beer and ambience still good but wont go again for a meal sadly.

Wonder Boy - the last managers left for a number of reasons bit one was that they were not allowed to improve the menu. Since they left I don't go in as often; I also believe that the cheap priced wine is to be replaced by a more expensive version.

Bull's Head for me.

Agree about the food.

When I went only had the cheese sandwich which comes with crisps lol

Think it was that awful "pre grated basics" stuff you get in supermarkets totally tasteless on cheap bread.

Won't eat there again.

Just been in, had a partial refurb not long after the last one. Had a great pint of marstons 61 sat on the new decking, anyone know if ownership has changed?

They got some serious competition was in the Sportsman the other day at Crosspool agreed a little down the road but a really good example of an Ember inn and it looked really good looks like they had a re fit recently too and not a cheap one either really friendly too.Believe the landlord was previously at the Rising Sun.

Guest makapaka
They got some serious competition was in the Sportsman the other day at Crosspool agreed a little down the road but a really good example of an Ember inn and it looked really good looks like they had a re fit recently too and not a cheap one either really friendly too.Believe the landlord was previously at the Rising Sun.

Sportsmans ok - not a drinkers pub though.

It has had a refit.

I always liked the shiny - it's a throwback to estate pubs which are dying off now. In the middle of suburbia for a walk down and a few pints and a walk back.

I understand they need to diversify and do food etc I hope it does well.

Just been in, had a partial refurb not long after the last one. Had a great pint of marstons 61 sat on the new decking, anyone know if ownership has changed?

It might have changed brewery, but it's still the same landlady (who was very pleasantly surprised that they were starting to spend on it).

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 11:06 ----------

The layout is all wrong in the Crosspool Sportsman. It's a hotel lobby bar rather than a pub. Ember Inns are also one of the worst pubcos.

The real competition for the three Lodge Moor pubs will come if/when the Plough opens as something good.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Ember Inns is a branded operation within Mitchell and Butler, not a pubco.

http://www.mbplc.com/investors/annualreport/

The company seems to do all right.

Mitchell and Butler is the 3rd biggest Pubco, behind only Enterprise and Punch. Ember Inns, Toby Carvery, Harvester, O’Neill’s and All Bar One are some of their different brands.

They are property developers who tie their pubs, then sell them off as supermarkets