Shiny Sheff at Lodge Moor

So sad, as you both point out it is a complete $ hole but could be so much better. Maybe something like the Florentine that people would come to for a nice meal and good beerm or even the sportsman at crosspool, these pubs are both doing quite well afaik. Unless they do anything significantly different it will fail again as it has done for the last several years.

So sad, as you both point out it is a complete $ hole but could be so much better. Maybe something like the Florentine that people would come to for a nice meal and good beerm or even the sportsman at crosspool, these pubs are both doing quite well afaik. Unless they do anything significantly different it will fail again as it has done for the last several years.

And as long as Enterprise Inns have control over it nothing will change.

Let's remember that they actually closed a pub 3 weeks before Christmas.

I've not seen a business decision as bad as that since Gerald Ratner described his stock as crap !!

Yes sad how much money has almost certainly been lost by those trying to make it work.

Thing I have observed with Enterprise is they have a few good pubs like the Ranmoor Inn which works well but the majority seem to be cheap tatty pubs with very little money spent on them and overpriced ale.

Without a large investment I cant see this working.

The Plough further down the road seems to have similar issues.

I'm not sure the excellent Ranmoor Inn is Enterprise? Thought it was owned by the landlord in his Just William company? If it is enterprise it just goes to show that a good landlord can make it work. The Bulls head is enterprise tho

I've not seen it open in a while and have also heard rumors that it may become a Tesco. A real shame if that's true.

I've not seen it open in a while and have also heard rumors that it may become a Tesco. A real shame if that's true.

Unlikely. Tesco are downscaling their expansion plans at present (and glad to hear it too). There have been rumours that it was to be turned into an indian restaurant and I believe there was more than an element of likelihood in these rumours.

The fact remains: people travel past the Shiny Sheff to get to the Sportsman (a pub which still doesn't accept cards and yet remains a perfect example of a well-run pub, heaving at weekends for roast dinners and busy most evenings) and the Three Merry Lads, a "does-what-it-says-on-the-tin" establishment, decent food, decent beer.

I still believe the Shiny Sheff has a future, but certainly not under Enterprise Inns' ownership. As someone who has been going there since 1982, I would love to see it blossom. (The irony is, I guess, that my business now goes to another Enterprise Inns pub - albeit well run - in Ranmoor, so perhaps one must question the abilities of the tenant or management rather than the pubco?)

Edited by Ousetunes

We heard that it is having a total refurb (including the cellar) and will be opening early Feb with drinks/food priced as per Wetherspoons type of business model.

We heard that it is having a total refurb (including the cellar) and will be opening early Feb with drinks/food priced as per Wetherspoons type of business model.

Would be interesting, rather than tinkering it needs stripping back to the shell in my opinion. For goodness sake it still has the faux tiffany leaded ceiling light contraption which must have been installed in the 1980s?

What's the market up here? Cheap and cheerful wetherspoons or a bit more upmarket, if someone got it right it could be a gold mine but one thing that nobody I think can add sadly is character in the building unlike the sportsman, lads, ranmoor and rising sun

Well if it does open early Feb I doubt the re furb is that major as nothing appears to have happened yet.

Its surrounded by "chimneys" plus pretty good bus service, so could be popular.

However as has been said a lick of paint and a clean up aint gonna cut it

Guest makapaka

It should focus on food in the main area / conservatory with a bar at the back by the dart board. Get a proper kitchen and chef in and focus on weekday tea times and weekend food. Plenty of room in back for what limited wet trade there is.

The decor isn't great but with a bit of smartening up and a good clean as long as the food was good it's mo worse than the 3 merry lads for decor - if not better.

But what do you know? ;)

I've just driven past and seen who I assume is the new manager in the car park.

He said its due to re open early March as there has been a delay with the contractors.