Three Valleys beer festival 2015 & 2016

Went last year it was great - worth going to

The Three Valleys festival is being planned to go ahead on Saturday 4th June. Venues will be announced in a couple of weeks or so.

In addition there will hopefully be a small new Dronfield CAMRA beer festival at the end of September.

Looking forward to it Andy. You managed to sort the buses this year? It's a thankless task I know.

Wonder if you had perhaps considered a wristband for them? Maybe a fiver for a days travel? I know it kind of wrecks the spirit of the free festival and all but I'm sure many would be only too happy to pay it if it guaranteed a better service. And may stop some of those non-beer drinkers who just use it for a jolly from packing them out.

Just a thought?

Looking forward to it Andy. You managed to sort the buses this year? It's a thankless task I know.

Wonder if you had perhaps considered a wristband for them? Maybe a fiver for a days travel? I know it kind of wrecks the spirit of the free festival and all but I'm sure many would be only too happy to pay it if it guaranteed a better service. And may stop some of those non-beer drinkers who just use it for a jolly from packing them out.

Just a thought?

Sort the buses... HA HA!

I have no intention of introducing bus ticketing, it introduces too many complications to the operation as well as a certain level of expectation. The free festival bus is what it is. What we are planning however is posting volunteers on the buses with charity buckets, so if you appreciate the bus ride chuck some coins in the bucket. The volunteers will also be able to help with information etc and should provide some support for the drivers.

There will also be some changes to the bus routes as a bit of a trial this year, it will see a more frequent service using the same number of vehicles.

Cannot say much more now, we will have the venue line up confirmed next week and things will depend on that - there are some new venues in for this year and some old venues out.

Sort the buses... HA HA!

I have no intention of introducing bus ticketing, it introduces too many complications to the operation as well as a certain level of expectation. The free festival bus is what it is. What we are planning however is posting volunteers on the buses with charity buckets, so if you appreciate the bus ride chuck some coins in the bucket. The volunteers will also be able to help with information etc and should provide some support for the drivers.

There will also be some changes to the bus routes as a bit of a trial this year, it will see a more frequent service using the same number of vehicles.

Cannot say much more now, we will have the venue line up confirmed next week and things will depend on that - there are some new venues in for this year and some old venues out.

Cool. Tho I don't think the problem is with the people who appreciate the buses, rather those that don't and treat 3 Valleys as a free music festival and pub crawl, which I know wasn't your attention.

It's always good fun tho. The trick this year will be in planning whether to stay in town early while it's quiet, and trust the buses out to the outlying pubs later on, or do what we normally do, finish near the station and hope it's not quite as mental as last year!

BTW I know someone already asked this on another thread but don't think there was an answer - Magna news?

Cool. Tho I don't think the problem is with the people who appreciate the buses, rather those that don't and treat 3 Valleys as a free music festival and pub crawl, which I know wasn't your attention.

It's always good fun tho. The trick this year will be in planning whether to stay in town early while it's quiet, and trust the buses out to the outlying pubs later on, or do what we normally do, finish near the station and hope it's not quite as mental as last year!

BTW I know someone already asked this on another thread but don't think there was an answer - Magna news?

One thing I did last year was to start at the Travellers Rest in Apperknowle, then walk back down the hill (via the Miners Arms in Hundal). It's a nice walk, made even nicer by the fact that it's downhill.

I'm strongly considering the same approach this year. The one factor I want to take into consideration is the possibility of getting out to Barlow Brewery.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Hmmm, personally, I would have those two last, as I can just roll down the hill to home!

One thing I did last year was to start at the Travellers Rest in Apperknowle, then walk back down the hill (via the Miners Arms in Hundal). It's a nice walk, made even nicer by the fact that it's downhill.

I'm strongly considering the same approach this year. The one factor I want to take into consideration is the possibility of getting out to Barlow Brewery.

Cheers Stoaty. I don't really know the area, being from T'north. So started out at the pub/hotel behind the station then caught bus up to the Travellers, went down to the Miners at Hundall and then back into town via the Coach and Horses. But by the time I got back into town it was mental - massive queues, no food, occasional fight. So tried to get a bus out of town and finish off up near Dore station, but that failed on account on no buses.

This year I will definitely do it differently. What did surprise me was the number of minibus trips doing the pubs. I wonder how much it costs to hire one for the day? Complete with driver of course. And whether we could rustle up a dozen to share it....?

The venues for 2016...

Barlow Brewery, Barlow

Blue Stoops, Dronfield

Coach & Horses, Dronfield

Dronfield Arms, Dronfield

Green Dragon, Dronfield

Horse & Jockey, Unstone

Hyde Park Inn, Hill Top

Jolly Farmer, Dronfield Woodhouse

Manor House Hotel, Dronfield

Miners Arms, Dronfield Woodhouse

Miners Arms, Hundall

Pioneer Club, Dronfield

Royal Oak, Coal Aston

Talbot, Dronfield Woodhouse

Three Tuns, Hallowes

Victoria Inn, Dronfield

White Swan, Dronfield

Yew Tree, Coal Aston

Cheers Stoaty. I don't really know the area, being from T'north. So started out at the pub/hotel behind the station then caught bus up to the Travellers, went down to the Miners at Hundall and then back into town via the Coach and Horses. But by the time I got back into town it was mental - massive queues, no food, occasional fight. So tried to get a bus out of town and finish off up near Dore station, but that failed on account on no buses.

This year I will definitely do it differently. What did surprise me was the number of minibus trips doing the pubs. I wonder how much it costs to hire one for the day? Complete with driver of course. And whether we could rustle up a dozen to share it....?

Also worth mentioning that The Miners Arms in Hundall is the current Dronfield CAMRA pub of the year! They've been getting some cracking guest beers in of late, including a few from Siren Craft. Needless to say that I made was walking my dog up there quite a lot over Christmas weekend for pints of Soundwave.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/dronfield-pub-scoops-second-camra-award-before-its-first-anniversary-1-7683189

Also worth mentioning that The Miners Arms in Hundall is the current Dronfield CAMRA pub of the year! They've been getting some cracking guest beers in of late, including a few from Siren Craft. Needless to say that I made was walking my dog up there quite a lot over Christmas weekend for pints of Soundwave.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/dronfield-pub-scoops-second-camra-award-before-its-first-anniversary-1-7683189

Yeah I did like it down there when I went during 3 Valleys, and any pub that has Siren on is usually worth a visit. Sadly it's a bit out in the sticks for a visit from Barnsley. I'm still way behind on my visits to Chesterfield with some Untappd buddies. But will try to get about more when the weather improves.

Yeah I did like it down there when I went during 3 Valleys, and any pub that has Siren on is usually worth a visit. Sadly it's a bit out in the sticks for a visit from Barnsley. I'm still way behind on my visits to Chesterfield with some Untappd buddies. But will try to get about more when the weather improves.

It isn't the easiest place to get to although there is a limited local bus service, route 14 operated by TM Travel, that will pick you up at Dronfield railway station and drop you right outside the Miners Arms front door.

Timetable is here - it calls at the station a few minutes after Dronfield Civic Centre: http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/014M-131027a.pdf