Cyclist vs Landrover

Its motorists that essentially cause a lot of obesity as not only are they fat themselves but they prevent would be cyclists from gaining traction in taking up a low impact lifelong exercise.

That's very well put, I'd not really thought of it like that, but it's true.

That's very well put, I'd not really thought of it like that, but it's true.

What you said was spot on. Ignore the trolls, youre the only one speaking sense round here.

I really wish I had the option NOT to use the bike, but I dont. the bike is one of the biggest forms of affordable transport on the planet. and I HAVE to take advantage of that.

Motorists are fat? Are you sure?

I thought I saw one once that wasn't.

And... did you just congratulate yourself on your own post?

Oh come on you don't expect reasoned arguments do you?

You could argue amber is red all night long and they'd never agree with you or something :)

The Nederlands cycles much more extensively than Germany or France or Switzerland, but they are more obese than those three.

Mexico is a less developed country than many places like the UK, France, Germany, but it's second only to the USA in terms of it's inhabitants chunkiness....

I think your right on that point, I can't believe that it's cycling or lack of, that is cause or cure for obesity. It's more likely to do with diet and availability of mass manufactured food.

I'm surprised the dutch are more obese than the germans though.

No i didnt. I was replying to OWD post.

He spoke sense, unlike you.

In that case you appear to struggle to express what you mean in the written form.

You made an absolute statement, and now you say you didn't... But it's still there;

Its motorists that essentially cause a lot of obesity as not only are they fat themselves

What do you really mean, if not what you wrote here?

Ubermaus- I'd suggest putting your hands up to making a statement that could be interpreted as absolute, point out that what you meant was that many more car drivers, proportionally, are overweight/obese whereas very few cyclists are.

Then remind everyone that it's a scientifically established fact, backed up by many, many studies, that cycling is very effective at preventing obesity (and thus, all the chronic diseases associated with it i.e. heart disease, diabetes etc, that are epidemic in our car obsessed culture).

Wow I see this tread has gone down the usual path, tit for tatting.

Now we are saying that everyone who doesn't cycle is obese... Hmm utter tosh, Brainwashing by food manufactures, greediness and overall lack of exercise causes obesity.

Dave of course cycling prevents obesity but so does eating healthy & going to the gym and general exercise.

Now we are saying that everyone who doesn't cycle is obese...

...no...

Many who drive are overweight/obeses, and, few who cycle are overweight/obese.

And, scientific studies/evidence shows that cycling is a very effective means of preventing obesity.

Dave of course cycling prevents obesity but so does eating healthy & going to the gym and general exercise.

Good, we agree that cycling prevents obesity (as do with other things of course).

In conjunction with the fact that the state of our road systems and car policies put people off cycling we can see how that translates to increasing obesity and thus to the dire state of our nations health.

(and the consequences don't stop there- millions of people being treated for (mainly preventable) diseases like heart disease and diabetes, means, in an underfunded and overstretched NHS, lack of time/resources to cope with other diseases, and, lack of time/resources to focus on preventative health care, thus forming a viscious cycle of declining health provision leading to even more illness.... etc, etc).

Now there are many reasons why many people can't access other forms of exercise like going to the gym (they're working too long hours to have sufficient free time, can't afford the fees etc).

Thing about cycling is that the exercise benefits are but a side effect to the cycles main function, as an excellent form of short-mid range travel.

Not only do you get to work and back (if you're commuting by bike), but, you get a good dose of obesity preventing exercise, at no extra cost in terms of time, and, no extra cost in terms of £ either, if fact you save cash compared to running a car or using the bus.

I get the distinct impression if I had been sat stationary at the lights and someone and cycled into me it would be my fault for not having a giant dayglo cushion on the back of the trailer to accomodate the cyclist.

I'm not going to say things like that in future it's tempting fate, but that's exactly what happened to me this morning at the lights on the way to work. :(

Sat there, waiting for them to change, cyclist approaching and there was a sudden thump at the back.

Cyclist nil, BMW one.

New bike for Christmas... cheapo steel rims.. wet conditions. Didn't stop as expected.

:roll:

I'm not going to say things like that in future it's tempting fate, but that's exactly what happened to me this morning at the lights on the way to work. :(

Sat there, waiting for them to change, cyclist approaching and there was a sudden thump at the back.

Cyclist nil, BMW one.

New bike for Christmas... cheapo steel rims.. wet conditions. Didn't stop as expected.

:roll:

Don't be down about it Obelix- was clearly the cyclists fault.

Sadly, it often happens the other way round, and, despite it being the fault of the driver not looking, in those cases it's generally-

Car scratched, cyclist maimed/killed :(

That's the fundamental inequality of our current road system

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 10:31 ----------

On a brighter note- I just stumbled across this blog with an entry showing how community can spring up when the roads are shut down for the day-

https://craftybikegirl.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/tdf-shows-how-life-community-spring-up-when-streets-are-places-for-living-not-just-for-driving/

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 10:32 ----------

And another from the same blog talking about how traffic has cut a community in half (Hillsborough)

https://craftybikegirl.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/sheffield-communities-cut-in-two-by-traffic/

Don't be down about it Obelix- was clearly the cyclists fault.

Sadly, it often happens the other way round, and, despite it being the fault of the driver not looking, in those cases it's generally-

Car scratched, cyclist maimed/killed :(

That's the fundamental inequality of our current road system

If I run into a bicycle I dont think I'll damage it much.

If I run into a car I don't think I'll damage it much.

If either of them run into me I'll be severly injured or killed.

Yet I don't bleat on about the "fundamental inequality of our current road system". Take the soapbox elsewhere your records is stuck.