Cyclist vs Landrover

I cycled to work this morning and the score was 1 all.

1 cyclist (female, goes up Langsett road every morning towards town) runs red lights regularly (and unlike onewheeldave she's doing it because she doesn't want to stop, not even for imagined safety).

1 taxi minibus nearly ran me into the tram crossing as he apparently could look further ahead than me and didn't realise that the road narrowed and had a central reservation.

And I'm wet, I didn't put my waterproofs on, and that was a mistake :-(

This whole debate is so pointless.

For the last four or five years I have cycled to work every day, whatever the weather, and I choose to do so (I do also drive). Since taking this up I know I am much much fitter, and I am definitely much less stressed when I get home from work - this has been the biggest benefit for me personally . I am aware of the risks, and I take precautions, but I also know I am taking a risk every time I have a shower, go down the stairs or turn the kettle on to make a cup of tea. Why let fear rule your life?

I follow the rules of the road and I never run red lights - in fact I hardly ever see any cyclists running red lights (contrary to popular opinion on here). I have very rarely felt in any danger when out on the roads and most drivers give me plenty of space. I don't use the cycle paths because they are so badly designed and maintained. I am safer on the road thank you very much - please try and understand that if you have never cycled around Sheffield!

There is bad behaviour from all road users - a minority of road users need to learn that cyclists have just as much right to the road as they do, and no, bikes don't have to pay 'road tax' because it doesn't exist. Likewise a minority of cyclists need to realise that the highway code applies to them too, and I do see some going out of their way to antagonise drivers - that's not helpful.

Its not a war for god's sake - Some of us like to cycle, some of us like to drive and some of us like to do both... what is there to argue about? All road users are safer if they show respect and courtesy to other road users, and thankfully the vast majority do in my experience. If you are thinking of taking up cycling then please don't let the doom-mongers on here put you off - it's not like its Mad Max out there or anything. Get out there on a bike, you will love it.

This seems to be by far the most sensible post so far! It pretty much sums up my experiences too. Thank you for being so eloquently succinct!

If-

to the extent that roads are genuinely equally safe for cyclists as they are for motorists, then yes.

What on earth does the relative safety of different modes of transport have to do with whether you should obey the law and ride safely or not? If I'm driving along I don't decide "hey, I'll go through a red light here because I know that if I was driving a leaky fuel tanker then that would be much more dangerous".

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 13:58 ----------

Fortunately, the consequences of a cyclists failings tend to not be that serious for anyone else- in contrast, the failings of our road policies and failings of irresponsible drivers, are, frequently, fatal for cyclists.

They also put people off cycling who, in the roads were safe, would be inclined to cycle way more- as previously explained, this makes the roads even less safe for existing cyclists, as well as adding to the obesity epidemic.

There are so many holes in this logic.

Firstly, it's all very well for you to decide that a cyclists failings don't cause serious consequences for anyone else. You don't seem to have factored in damage to their property and the psychological impact of a reckless cyclist being hurt or injured by impact with their car through no fault of the driver. Drivers have every justification in feeling annoyed and angry by this.

Secondly, you're ignoring the fact that a cyclist's actions can have consequences for other road users without them being hurt. There are car-car collisions caused by drivers having to avoid reckless cyclists.

Thirdly, bad cycling is often what turns bad driving from an avoidable hazard into a serious danger. In other threads you've talked about the dangers from left turners as you are passing on the inside when approaching traffic lights. Now I'd definitely argue that the driver is in the wrong in this scenario, but failing to see you or even look in their mirrors is an easier mistake to make than to put yourself in that predictably dangerous position on your bike.

Fourthly, bad cycling affects good cyclists negatively. I have no doubt that there are drivers who would otherwise have no antipathy towards cyclists were it not for people like you jumping lights etc. I often face scenarios like that described above, where a small, otherwise insignificant slip-up by a driver could have ended up as a dangerous situation. Most of these situations involve probably well-meaning drivers who have unfortunately got a little careless. There is the occasional one where drivers were wilfully flouting the law (jumping red lights etc). But actually most of the few times when I have felt that I was in serious danger were when vindictive drivers actually tried to cause me physical harm without any provocation other than that they didn't like me being there. I have no doubt that there are some of then on SF. And when they see you riding like an idiot, and suggesting to others that it is the safe thing to do, I can kind of understand something of how they get to hate cyclists so much.

Well it seems that the apologetic cyclist is anything but....

Court papers landed today. He want's £3000 for a merida cycle and some more for shock and trauma poor lambs not been able to cycle for weeks due to panicking on the road.... :roll:

I'm impressed that his metal framed bike suddenly transformed into a carbon framed outfit though. Carbon fibre doesnt bend like the way his bike bent...... I wonder what the judge will say about that....

I suppose I better figure out what my costs are and countersue. I'd be amazed if it was more than a tenner though - until I add on loss of earnings. Maybe that'll make him see sense...

is this from the cyclist that rode into your trailer?

Well it seems that the apologetic cyclist is anything but....

Court papers landed today. He want's £3000 for a merida cycle and some more for shock and trauma poor lambs not been able to cycle for weeks due to panicking on the road.... :roll:

I'm impressed that his metal framed bike suddenly transformed into a carbon framed outfit though. Carbon fibre doesnt bend like the way his bike bent...... I wonder what the judge will say about that....

I suppose I better figure out what my costs are and countersue. I'd be amazed if it was more than a tenner though - until I add on loss of earnings. Maybe that'll make him see sense...

Well you hit the poor lad with a landrover, what do you expect???

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 15:32 ----------

is this from the cyclist that rode into your trailer?

this is the cyclist he ran over, yes.

He decided to jump a red light and shoot over behind me as I went through a crossroads that was light controlled. ...

The same railings that hid him also meant he didn't see the flatbed trailer I was towing until it was way way too late.

Sounds like a cyclist rode into a vehicle to me.

Well you hit the poor lad with a landrover

No I didn't you clueless oaf.

No I didn't you clueless oaf.

so why is he suing you for £3k plus damages for shock and trauma?

:hihi: I love it.... there really are some people who write stupid things on here you just have to sit back and shake your head at... :roll:

Because he can :roll:

Because he can :roll:

I would suspect that's the case. Or that someones had a whisper in his ear and mentioned it's free of charge if he loses.

Not if I manage to stick him with costs it won't be. Maybe that'll scare him off...