Cyclist vs Landrover

I'd like to see him carry two lots of fishing tackle on a pushbike or take his luggage to Manchester airport to go on holiday.

Might be worth checking that, if you are interested in being visible.

I was proposing the bike lights idea for those who were concerned about their trailer not being that visible from the side.

Putting flashing bike lights on it would actually completely solve that issue, and, being simple, would constitute a simple solution

<snip content not relevant to the point about the lights>

So, for those reasons, I'm actually going to quibble strongly with your statement and say that the simple solution is to put some pound shop lights down the side (as opposed to trying to make people stop running reds).

It gets worse, you want them in FLASHING mode too?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

“Special warning lamp” A lamp, fitted to the front or rear of a vehicle, capable of emitting a blue flashing light and not any other kind of light.

“Warning beacon” A lamp that is capable of emitting a flashing or rotating beam of light throughout 360° in the horizontal plane.

Lamps to show a steady light

13. (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a direction indicator;

(b)a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;

©a warning beacon or special warning lamp;

(d)a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;

(e)a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; or

(f)lamps forming part of a traffic sign.

(Note 1991 amendments to cover the legal use of the flashing lights on pedal cycles)

Amendments to regulation 13 (lamps to show a steady light)

In regulation 13(2)—

(a) the word “or” immediately following sub-paragraph (e) shall be omitted;

(b) after sub-paragraph (f) there shall be added—

“(g) a front position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light (whether or not it is also

capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i) a pedal cycle; or

(ii) a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is

capable, when emitting a flashing light, of em

itting light to the front of the pedal

cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4

candelas; or

(h) a rear position lamp capable of emitting a fl

ashing light (whether

or not it is also

capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i) a pedal cycle; or

(ii) a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is

capable, when emitting a flashing light, of emitting light to the rear of the pedal

cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4

candelas.”

I'd like to see him carry two lots of fishing tackle on a pushbike or take his luggage to Manchester airport to go on holiday.

If he uses a bike trailer I hope he follows the required rules for lighting that... considering the previous attempts at suggesting lighting I can see there are probably going to be a lot of illegally lit cycle trailers as well.

You're right, cyclists should sort out their failings.

Fortunately, the consequences of a cyclists failings tend to not be that serious for anyone else- in contrast, the failings of our road policies and failings of irresponsible drivers, are, frequently, fatal for cyclists.

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights. why is that the fault of the road policies or irresponsible drivers? For your information the rules of the road should apply to EVERYBODY and that includes cyclists. I wish I had a pound for every cyclist I have seen at the Ecclesfield wood bottom nipping round the inside of a red traffic light because they don't see why they should have to wait for green. Also when I used to cycle and it's not that long ago we didn't have CYCLE lanes everywhere including places where pedestrians have less rights on the footpaths than cyclists. I cite the area outside Morrisons at Ecclesfield as an example

Agree. The fact its a 5 tonne projectile kind of got overlooked.

I've hardly concealed the fact that I was towing a large and quite heavy load...:huh:

Er no - Apart from a motorway there are no dedicated roads for combustion vehicles. I have to share them all with horses, pedestrians, agricultural tractors, red deer, badgers, next doors cats, the occassional steam roller from the enthusiast at the end of the lane and a fairly large number of cyclists.

You said as a pedestrian unless I was mistaken. And in most places you go as a pedestrian, there are footpaths.

At least I thought this

If either of them run into me I'll be severly injured or killed.

Meant as a pedestrian.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:17 ----------

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights.

That's just a lie.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:18 ----------

There, you said it.

I was interpreting your post in context.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 14:17 ----------

There you go again. Stirring up trouble. It wasnt an absolute statement. Like several of my posts youve cut a quote down to suit own needs.

It was absolute, you didn't qualify it at all... Feel free to keep pretending otherwise though. :roll:

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:19 ----------

Projectile is hardly accurate is it. The cyclist road into the trailer, not the other way around.

Edited by Cyclone

It wasnt an absolute statement. Like several of my posts youve cut a quote down to suit own needs.

It quite clearly was.

Think you've mixed my post up with one wheel Daves. Also we'd never get our fishing tackle on a bike trailer, The rod bags are 6ft long, then there's two large boxes and net bags plus the peripherals, sometimes we can't get it all in a rather large estate car and have to but the rod bags on top

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights.

This is not true. Many, many cyclists have been hit/killed without any traffic lights in the vicinity.

Many, many cyclists who were the type to obey lights religiously, have been hit/killed.

When a motorist operating his/her mobile phone runs into a cyclist, or, passes too close and causes them to come off, it matters not whether that cyclist always obeyed the rules of the highway code.

But, mainly, this-

is not true. And the really sad thing is, some people believe rubbish like that.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 18:51 ----------

How about

7. any cyclist filmed running a red light - long ban from cycling. Repeat offence - lifetime ban ?

If-

Well, you've asked so :)

1. wouldn't alter bikes- they're now evolved to be the perfect form of short-medium distance transport. They're not flimsy in the slightest- (as long as they've not being crashed into by 2 tonnes of motorised metal driven by a blind obese ape), they're exactly the right compromise of sturdiness and lightness.

2. alter the road system- start to move cars out of residential areas so they do what they're suited for- long distance travel on big roads. On small roads in residential areas, give priority to bikes (obviously, this is a long term goal)

3. Any time a car kills/maims a cyclist, a full on investigation to establish the facts. If driver not to blame, he/she walks away scot free. If they're found to be at fault, a prison term and lifetime ban from driving.

4. any driver filmed using a mobile(illegally, while driving)- long ban from driving. Repeat offence- lifetime ban

5. Just as with the VERY successful approach to smoking, a ban on advertising of motor vehicles, combined with heavy promotion of cycling from primary schools upwards, with the facts about cars negative effects on public health a big part of it.

6. financial incentives for anyone choosing to cycle to work.

That's off the top of my end- I think you can see the general direction?

to the extent that roads are genuinely equally safe for cyclists as they are for motorists, then yes.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 18:54 ----------

It gets worse, you want them in FLASHING mode too?

We're done with the lights Squiggs. Turns out they're illegal, and, someone did post proof of it. So I admitted I was wrong to suggest people put ÂŁshop lights on their trailers.

A cyclist smiled at me today, and it brought home the fact that cyclists are people. When I got home from work, I saw why I was smiled at. Some silly chuffs had drawn a pair of ladies bits on my rear bumper in the dirt. (my SF username is well known at work!!)

Now, did the cyclist smile at me because of the bloobies or because I passed her with a full road space? Either way, it may have been the picture, or might have been the courtesy I showed her, but as I stopped at the lights before turning left, she carried on straight through on red, cafefully checking the road left and right.

Yes, I agree there was nothing coming from either direction, and those particular lights are bloody stupid, but she did it nonetheless. Not something I see every day, but worth a mention regarding bikes and the safety of handling them.

Think you've mixed my post up with one wheel Daves. Also we'd never get our fishing tackle on a bike trailer, The rod bags are 6ft long, then there's two large boxes and net bags plus the peripherals, sometimes we can't get it all in a rather large estate car and have to but the rod bags on top

Agree the 5 tonne projectile got overllookked

This whole debate is so pointless.

For the last four or five years I have cycled to work every day, whatever the weather, and I choose to do so (I do also drive). Since taking this up I know I am much much fitter, and I am definitely much less stressed when I get home from work - this has been the biggest benefit for me personally . I am aware of the risks, and I take precautions, but I also know I am taking a risk every time I have a shower, go down the stairs or turn the kettle on to make a cup of tea. Why let fear rule your life?

I follow the rules of the road and I never run red lights - in fact I hardly ever see any cyclists running red lights (contrary to popular opinion on here). I have very rarely felt in any danger when out on the roads and most drivers give me plenty of space. I don't use the cycle paths because they are so badly designed and maintained. I am safer on the road thank you very much - please try and understand that if you have never cycled around Sheffield!

There is bad behaviour from all road users - a minority of road users need to learn that cyclists have just as much right to the road as they do, and no, bikes don't have to pay 'road tax' because it doesn't exist. Likewise a minority of cyclists need to realise that the highway code applies to them too, and I do see some going out of their way to antagonise drivers - that's not helpful.

Its not a war for god's sake - Some of us like to cycle, some of us like to drive and some of us like to do both... what is there to argue about? All road users are safer if they show respect and courtesy to other road users, and thankfully the vast majority do in my experience. If you are thinking of taking up cycling then please don't let the doom-mongers on here put you off - it's not like its Mad Max out there or anything. Get out there on a bike, you will love it.