Where was Change Alley?

I seem to remember the YEB offices being in Change Alley. Am I right?

Yes , the YEB offices and showroom were on Change Alley. I was an apprentice electrician at the YEB and had a spell there working with the resident maintenance electrician Charlie Moore , a nice "old school" craftsman.

City school of motoring around 1962

Yes, the buildings in Change Alley were demolished in 1964-65 to make way for Arundel Gate. For a few years in the early 1960s the YEB's Arundel Gate building was on the corner of Change Alley. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

In case it's of interest, here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory showing businesses etc. in Change Alley.

Am I right in thinking that from the photo in the link-thank you-that the Y.E.B offices remained there to become Arundel Gate and the building called 'Blakes' was demolished and that block was what the Claymore pub e.t.c. became ?

1948 Map from Old Maps Online, an absolutely fascinating site for map lovers.

Wonderful old map.I was looking around Marcus Street on it and happened to notice that the street I knew as Auborn St. is called Osborne St. Did it have a name change or is it a mistake or is it me that cannot read the map properly?

Edited by Kidorry

Wonderful old map.I was looking around Marcus Street on it and happened to notice that the street I knew as Auborn St. is called Osborne St. Did it have a name change or is it a mistake or is it me that cannot read the map properly?

All the other street maps I have access to, including other Ordnance Survey maps, call it Oborne Street, as does Picture Sheffield.

definitely Oborne Street, spent alot of time in the wembly

Am I right in thinking that from the photo in the link-thank you-that the Y.E.B offices remained there to become Arundel Gate and the building called 'Blakes' was demolished and that block was what the Claymore pub e.t.c. became ?
Yes..:)....

This photo shows the Claymore/Marsden's block. The caption is wrong in naming the construction site as the Top Rank. That is further to the right, out of shot.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u09414&pos=131&action=zoom&id=95219

Spot on Jim! What is under construction there (1968) is the 'Claymore' pub and next door what was a branch of Woodcock Travel then the steps down to the old Odeon and into Fitzalan Square.

In the 1950's there was the Carlton coffee bar and Marsden's milk bar next door to it. Both were owned by Marsdens the ice cream people from Crosspool.

Mike

Opposite the coffee/milk bar was a camera shop called I think News Photos run by a very helpful elderly man and when it closed down I helped him get a job at the Sheffield Photo Co..

Spot on Jim! What is under construction there (1968) is the 'Claymore' pub and next door what was a branch of Woodcock Travel then the steps down to the old Odeon and into Fitzalan Square.

The Marsdens/Claymore block is the four storey building between the YEB building and the construction site.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27873&pos=1&action=zoom&id=30262 Click on Zoom Image.

There is also a good view of what the Claymore has now become on StreetView.

Yes i remember Change Alley, It was just up and slightly opposite where the Odeon cinema was. I learnt to drive with the City School of Motoring that was on there in early 1963, I learned to drive in a Ford Anglia 105 E, a lovely car in those days and now a classic car.