Where was Change Alley?

Where in the city centre was 'Change Alley'and what was on it?

'

I think that Change Alley was a short gennel from Fitzallen Square to Norfolk Street but I can't remember what was on it !!! :confused:

Change alley ran from high street to norfolk street,below mulberry street.

Yes, that's my recollection too. On the right hand side going towards Norfolk Street were the premises of Burnett and Hallamshire, Coal Merchants. The walls inside were painted with murals of Old King Cole. I used to go there with my mum to order coal. I think there was a cafe just before B&H's offices.

On the left hand side near the junction with Norfolk Street, the Girls' Life Brigade had their "equipment stores", run by the Misses Greensmith, on one of the upper floors of a multiple occupancy building. I used to go there quite often with my aunt, Nellie Sanders, a GLB leader.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was there a small toy shop ( Westons?) on Change Alley near the Norfolk St end ? Think they sold prams downstairs then you went up a narrow staircase where I remember buying Dinkys and toy soldiers

1948 Map from Old Maps Online, an absolutely fascinating site for map lovers.

In the 1950's there was the Carlton coffee bar and Marsden's milk bar next door to it. Both were owned by Marsdens the ice cream people from Crosspool.

Mike

I seem to remember the YEB offices being in Change Alley. Am I right?
Yes, the buildings in Change Alley were demolished in 1964-65 to make way for Arundel Gate. For a few years in the early 1960s the YEB's Arundel Gate building was on the corner of Change Alley. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

In case it's of interest, here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory showing businesses etc. in Change Alley.

Re: me-and-pippo

Enjoyed the pictures, now the fourth one (Y02924) shows the premises of Thomas Ashton on one corner and a shop sign beginning with a C on the other. This shop was the Thonton's Candy Cabin, which I believe was the first ever shop opened by Thornton's.

Incidentally Thos. Ashton moved down onto Sidney Street.

Oh! What a joy to see the old map of Sheffield.

Thank you.