Edleys Sweet Shop

Hi, but did my dad give you any sweets?

Hi, but did my dad give you any sweets?

To be honest I cant remember lol, remember Dad buying home brew stuff vaguely. Was very young tho x

The road in question is Dykes Hall Road. Does this help?

Hi Pat,

Just came across this as I was looking for a photo of the sweet shop for my family tree. I am Andy Mills and we are 4th cousins. I'm from Rotherham so didn't get to savour your dad's goods!:thumbsup:

I remember Edleys sweet shop, I lived in Worrall and worked at Wigfalls on Middlewood rd, Mr Edley would often give me a lift to work or a lift home.

Hi Pattyl - I recently found the original print of the photo I linked in my post #5....:)

Here is a slightly clearer scan.

Edited by hillsbro

Perhaps this photo will take us back!.:)

I wonder what the crowd of folk on the corner are waiting for.

The crowd on the corner [brier St, Middlewood Rd] were queing at Barrow selling fruit and veg it was run by I think two brothers,there was another barrow corner of Roselle St M/wood Rd belonging to Bingleys who had flower shop on Procter Place, now have flower shop in the precint run by Michael and Vicky.

I wonder what the crowd of folk on the corner are waiting for.

It was the fruit and veg barrow that stood at the corner.

Sorry, that's already been posted!

What year was the photo?

Edited by susie1

The crowd on the corner [brier St, Middlewood Rd] were queing at Barrow selling fruit and veg it was run by I think two brothers...
Quite right, the two brothers lived on Raisen Hall Road at Southey Green. They always sold good quality fruit & veg. and my mum was a good customer of theirs. One of the brothers sadly died young but the barrow business continued for a while afterwards.
...there was another barrow corner of Roselle St M/wood Rd belonging to Bingleys who had flower shop on Procter Place, now have flower shop in the precint run by Michael and Vicky.
Yes - their mum Ellen Bingley had the flower shop on Proctor Place opposite; when we were children in the 1950s Vicky, my friends and I used to play on the flat roof of the single-storey shop. Here is a photo of Vicky serving customers on a busy day.

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 08:44 ----------

What year was the photo?
It was taken in 1964. The bus is a No 14 that had gone to Wisewood via Malin Bridge; the 13 took the same route but went via Dykes Hall Road and back via Malin Bridge.

Hi Hillsbro the Mr Sorsby you mentioned was his shop right at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road on the left as you face upwards?.He worked at Neepsend Power Station if I recall correctly as well as owning his shop,he was a friend of my fathers the one I mentioned in an earlier thread who owned the radiogram that my old man fell in love with and purchased one the same!.

...shop right at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road on the left as you face upwards?...
Hi old tup - Sorsby's shop was at 79 Middlewood Road (between Dykes Hall Road and Minto Road). The shop you mention sounds like the paper shop on the corner of Dykes Hall Road (65a Middlewood Road). In the 1950s it was owned by Frank Agus; he sold it in 1966 to an entrepreneur (I think his name was Ward) who developed the business, ran it for a few years and then sold it to a Mr Smith who lived at Stannington (the business is shown in directories as "C. & A. Smith"). It is one of the few newsagents in the area that have survived.