Edleys Sweet Shop

I remember it well, I'm Mr Edley's daughter, Pat, what great times I had working there as dad's Saturday girl.

Hi Patricia - I remember you! I think you lived at Worrall. I was always in the shop as a youngster - I remember once saving my pocket money to buy my mum a Needlers easter egg in a box that I'd seen in the display case below the left-hand counter. In c. 1957 it cost me 8s 3d. - ouch! I remember the toffee that came in a big slab that was broken up with a little hammer, and the "Sun-Pat" roasted peanuts kept fresh and warm in the heated case. Also the rather special Suchard, Tobler and Lindt chocolate bars and Parma violets. The other local confectioner was Mr Sorsby a little further along Middlewood Road. In the early 1970s your dad Oswald began also to sell home-brewing ingredients etc. and he and I would compare notes (my extra-strong brew was known as "Robinson's Rocket Fuel"). Mr Colletta who took over the business was also the nicest person you could meet and under his management the high standards of cleanliness etc. were maintained - a pity the shop eventually closed. I can hardly believe it's over 30 years since you lost your dad - how time flies!

Edited by hillsbro

Well there's certainly nothing wrong with your long term memory! Dad insisted on having the walls of the shop lined with sparkling glass jars full of sweets. This was maintained by having two jars, one behind the other, so that as soon as sweets were sold from the front jar, when no customers were in the shop , we would have to replenish from the jar behind. The jars also had to be polished at least twice a week.

Dad had a 'war' with Woolworths when they started selling Cadburys misshapes and Cadburys wouldn't supply him with this line. The only way he could get hold of these was to buy in the same quantity as Woolworths. Dad was stubborn and would not be beaten, consequently we had a huge container load of these chocolates to store and then sell! This stock had to be put around the walls of the upstairs stockroom - if the boxes had been put on the floor the ceiling was in danger of collapsing!

You're right, he did sell home brew ingredients at a different site after that. We had a cellar full of the stuff at home and past boyfriends would love their talks with dad over a glass or two. Dad used to call it his truth drug as he would learn all kinds of secrets after a few.

Time does fly, but thankfully the memories stay.

Wow, you have got a fantastic collection of photos if you came up with that one. I've just sent it to my daughters, who sadly never met their grandad - one of them now in Australia! The power of the internet.

Perhaps this photo will take us back!.:)

hillsbro, just to get my bearings on the picture would that bus have just come from Malin Bridge or Rivelin, or what I'm saying does that road lead to the same?

The road in question is Dykes Hall Road. Does this help?

The road in question is Dykes Hall Road. Does this help?

Pattyl, I think it does, thanks.

Great memory hillsbro amd nice to see the connection between you two.

I remember Edley's was the only shop that sold Peter's chocolate which was my favourite - about halfway between milk and plain in flavour. Another of my favourites was "mint-sorts" - like Bassetts allsorts but different shapes of mint fondant + liquorice, and also those delicious coconut mushrooms. Yep - I had (and still have) a sweet tooth!.:)

I remember it well, I'm Mr Edley's daughter, Pat, what great times I had working there as dad's Saturday girl.

Hi Pat, Its Carol. Lol cant believe this has cropped up on here lol :-)

I remember my dad taking me to see Uncle Oz and Aunt Nora x