Speeding ticket at Burncross

The OP has the area incorrect the speed limit change is from the top of Chapeltown Hill coming from Ecclesfield and down into Chapeltown and the speed limit was changed earlier this year, there was quite an in depth thread on here at the time which may or may not have resulted in the erection of "New speed limit" signs.

I see. I remember it being 40mph past Chap school. Always read the signs!!!:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 30-12-2014 at 20:33 ----------

And it is fitted with speed humps that should say something.

Yes it is, so SCC must be having a big splurge in the area regarding speeding.

The limit has not changed in the area you describe, i suggest you have a recap of the highway code.

This is near my house and is catching us all out. When I recently spoke to the transport police at Niagara they said you are allowed 10% + 1 so in a 30 you are allowed 34.

The Highway Code is quite clear

Speed limits

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table below). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.

Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists

weather conditions make it safer to do so

driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users.

Speed Limits

Type of vehicle Built-up areas* Single carriageways Dual carriageways Motorways

MPH (km/h) MPH (km/h) MPH (km/h) MPH (km/h)

Cars & motorcycles (including car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight) 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112)

Cars towing caravans or trailers (including car derived vans and motorcycles) 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 60 (95)

Buses, coaches and minibuses (not exceeding 12 metres in overall length 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)

Goods vehicles (not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight) 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70† (112)

Goods vehicles (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight) 30 (48) 40 (64) 50 (80) 60 (96)

*The 30 mph limit usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise. †60 mph (96 km/h) if articulated or towing a trailer

---------- Post added 30-12-2014 at 22:48 ----------

That wee driving instructor lady who patronised us when I went on my 'course' would be so proud of me ;)

was you near a school with kids about

This is near my house and is catching us all out. When I recently spoke to the transport police at Niagara they said you are allowed 10% + 1 so in a 30 you are allowed 34.

Don't count on it, I got a ticket for doing 34.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have received a speeding fine for doing 35 in a 30 zone at Burncross coming in to Chappeltown. My problem is that I wasn't aware that the limit had changed from 40mph to 30mph. There was so signage to alert drivers to the change and by the time I had noticed it was too late. I used this road quite regularly so the change must have been recent. Have I any grounds to appeal?

There is a 30mph sign and it changed in August this year same time it changed out side ecclesfield school.

If you care to read the post correctly he was on Burncross Rd.

There is a 30mph sign on burncross road as u go up it from tesco so will be one on other side for when u come down it.

If you care to read the post correctly he was on Burncross Rd.

He says he was in Burncross not on Burncross road, the speed limit has always been 30mph on Burncross Road.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 12:16 ----------

This is another one of those threads where the OP starts it and doesn't return with further information.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have received a speeding fine for doing 35 in a 30 zone at Burncross coming in to Chappeltown. My problem is that I wasn't aware that the limit had changed from 40mph to 30mph. There was so signage to alert drivers to the change and by the time I had noticed it was too late. I used this road quite regularly so the change must have been recent. Have I any grounds to appeal?

The totally un-necessary change to the speed limit on there is a dispicable , deliberate ploy to trap drivers and raise revenue, nothing more. What a surprise they chose to lower the limit on a section of road where speed scamera vans stalk motorists.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 13:51 ----------

was you near a school with kids about

Whats that got to do with it ? Dont they teach kids the Green Cross Code these days. :roll: