Speeding ticket at Burncross

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have received a speeding fine for doing 35 in a 30 zone at Burncross coming in to Chappeltown. My problem is that I wasn't aware that the limit had changed from 40mph to 30mph. There was so signage to alert drivers to the change and by the time I had noticed it was too late. I used this road quite regularly so the change must have been recent. Have I any grounds to appeal?

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have received a speeding fine for doing 35 in a 30 zone at Burncross coming in to Chappeltown. My problem is that I wasn't aware that the limit had changed from 40mph to 30mph. There was so signage to alert drivers to the change and by the time I had noticed it was too late. I used this road quite regularly so the change must have been recent. Have I any grounds to appeal?

Could be wrong here, but I believe on a single carriageway road all that is required is one sign to indicate you are leaving a 40 and going to a 30, and no "repeaters" are required.

So no.

Nope. I had the same thing on Ecclesall Road and got nowhere. I paid the fine and went on the course offered and didn't get points.

If you write to them, apologise and say you weren't aware of it, and that from now on you'll always respect the speed limit, then they might let you off the once. This has happened to others.

If you write to them, apologise and say you weren't aware of it, and that from now on you'll always respect the speed limit, then they might let you off the once. This has happened to others.

I tried that one. Never had a speeding fine in 35 + years of driving so I thought was in a reasonable position. Got me absolutely nowhere fraid.

If he didn't see the sign then it's a fair cop, however I would certainly 're drive the route to make sure the sign is there before coughing up.

Guest makapaka

You won't get anywhere for not being aware of the speed limit.

You also won't get anywhere for no signage alerting you to the change.

If there's no signage (and bearing in mind I don't know the particular road) there may be other "non-sign" indicators that meant you should have been aware.

I'm not being all holier than thou by saying that - I was caught myself and went to a speed awareness course which dedicated a section to how you can ascertain a limit on a road anywhere with or without signage.

You won't get anywhere for not being aware of the speed limit.

You also won't get anywhere for no signage alerting you to the change.

If there's no signage (and bearing in mind I don't know the particular road) there may be other "non-sign" indicators that meant you should have been aware.

I'm not being all holier than thou by saying that - I was caught myself and went to a speed awareness course which dedicated a section to how you can ascertain a limit on a road anywhere with or without signage.

Pretty much sums up my experience. What did make me chuckle tho, out of the 20 of us on the course 15 of them were blue rinse OAPs, me, two taxi drivers and 2 young laddies. :)

Hi Benny. My folks live in that area, and the road from Burncross down to Chapeltown has always been 30mph. It has never been 40, as its a built up area. As far as grounds of appeal, you could try but I would imagine it would fall on deaf ears.

The fact you didnt know what the speed limit was is no defence.If there is street lights,then its 30 unless your told its something different.

If you havnt done a course in the last 3 years then name the driver asap and you will be offered a course with no points,just plenty of patronisation.

There is NO appeal proccess other than chosing to take it to court,and as you have no defence to the speeding all thats going to do is make it very expensive.

Hi Benny. My folks live in that area, and the road from Burncross down to Chapeltown has always been 30mph. It has never been 40, as its a built up area. As far as grounds of appeal, you could try but I would imagine it would fall on deaf ears.

The OP has the area incorrect the speed limit change is from the top of Chapeltown Hill coming from Ecclesfield and down into Chapeltown and the speed limit was changed earlier this year, there was quite an in depth thread on here at the time which may or may not have resulted in the erection of "New speed limit" signs.

Here you go

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1339888&highlight=new+speed+limit+chapeltown

Edited by phawley

And it is fitted with speed humps that should say something.