When a balaclava was an essential part of a young mans wardrobe.

... a yellow tiled barber shop, a branch of Scott's maybe and the other side that had a jewelers, a pub and the coroner's court.
Yes - that was Scott's barber shop; the Lion Hotel was the pub on the opposite corner. Here is a scan from the 1971 Kelly's Directory showing businesses at the end of Nursery Street.

Yes - that was Scott's barber shop; the Lion Hotel was the pub on the opposite corner. Here is a scan from the 1971 Kelly's Directory showing businesses at the end of Nursery Street.

About the time the clog shop was there, the barbers were called Constantines, run by two brothers.It was just like something from the Victorian age.Scotts took it over when the brothers finished.

Now I place it. next to the gap what 'Texas' mentioned, they had light blue coloured doors. a bit of a decor rarity even in 1971. They also made keys. The scan also shoes Mortimer's Army Stores which would have been an ideal place to buy a balaclava -which started this off- from, along with in the early 60's. the much sought leather flying helmets, as not every kid's dad had been an R.A.F. flight crew member.

---------- Post added 16-01-2015 at 02:26 ----------

Just for information, the leather flying helmets that so many wore are now worth a small fortune to collectors. If anyone still has one get it valued – you may be surprised!

Yes, you're right. Checked 'em on U.S. Ebay. Average price fifty quid, some R.A.F. ones, two and three hundred and Luftwaffe ones, four and five hundred!

Where are the shops on Attercliffe Common now I need one?

About the time the clog shop was there, the barbers were called Constantines, run by two brothers.It was just like something from the Victorian age.Scotts took it over when the brothers finished.
Looking in directories etc., Norman and Cyril Constantine were the last in a long line of hairdressers going back to their great-grandfather James Constantine who turns up in the 1851 census as an apprentice. They evidently sold up in the late 1940s, as a directory of 1950 shows John Scott at 9-11 Nursery Street.

I wish I'd kept my dad's R.A.F. flying helmet (I still have his gas mask)..:)

Looking in directories etc., Norman and Cyril Constantine were the last in a long line of hairdressers going back to their great-grandfather James Constantine who turns up in the 1851 census as an apprentice. They evidently sold up in the late 1940s, as a directory of 1950 shows John Scott at 9-11 Nursery Street.

In the fifties when all the war surplus could be bought, I saw lads with pilots leather flying helmets and I really wanted one, I told my Mother that I wanted one and a few weeks later low and behold, she had knitted me a badly fitting Balaclava! Does anyone remember the house/shop on Button Lane that sold war surplus stuff? I remember walking in the backyard and he had several large landing lights from an airfield. It was crammed with all sorts of stuff.

It was on the opposite end to the arches opposite the Brown Cow? pub

No Button Lane started roughly at the side of Debenhams and ran parallel to the Moor to, I think to Fitzwilliam St.

Did your dad fly in the war hillsbro??

If you are referring to the army stores in the Wicker. It was between the Big Gun pub and the Nursery St. Corner.

Did your dad fly in the war hillsbro??
No, but his friend Gordon Edy (who had a butcher's shop, then the post office at Malin Bridge) flew in Bomber Command during the war and he told my dad about some flying jackets and helmets that had become available. My dad bought one of each very cheaply; they were ideal for when he was riding his motorbike in cold weather..:)

Was it on the corner of Gun Lane and Wicker?Or was that Langtons where you got your school boots from.

If you are referring to the army stores in the Wicker. It was between the Big Gun pub and the Nursery St. Corner.
Yes - this was Mortimer's, next door to Langton's as shown on this scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory.