Back pain and nausea.

I have suffered from back pain , mostly the neck and below, for many years now. I also get constant nausea. I wonder if they are in anyway connected ? Does anyone else have these two symptoms together ?

Maybe migraine symptoms, you should see your GP to see what the problem is

I have suffered from back pain , mostly the neck and below, for many years now. I also get constant nausea. I wonder if they are in anyway connected ? Does anyone else have these two symptoms together ?

Hello Patticake!! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your back issues old friend :(

Weirdly, I do know what you mean! Have had a back injury from paragliding a while ago....caused problems in cervical and thoracic vertebrae...

If I haven't exercised for a while, back stiffens up and start to feel this sickness....once I mobilise my spine, the nausea abates.

Hello Patticake!! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your back issues old friend :(

Weirdly, I do know what you mean! Have had a back injury from paragliding a while ago....caused problems in cervical and thoracic vertebrae...

If I haven't exercised for a while, back stiffens up and start to feel this sickness....once I mobilise my spine, the nausea abates.

Thanks Sol. Nice to hear from you again !:)

Can you pop round?

I have a huge pile that needs doing!

I have heard of people saying that they feel sick with pain. I think one can cause the other.

The neural pathways which cause nausea are not that well known. Sone of the sensations and motor pathways are certainly controlled by the vagus nerve (wretch and vomiting), but the perception of visceral sensations such as nausea are more complex and more than likely also have some input (probably inhibitory) from spinal autonomic ganglia. The ganglia which innervate this part of the body are from the upper vertebrae. It's possible that the back pain could either be producing extra excitatory input to the nausea centres in the nts or that it has a common cause perhaps a trapped nerve which results in loss of the inhibition of sensations of nausea. It's a bit weird for it to be so specific though. Have you not had any other symptoms such as shortness of breath?

The neural pathways which cause nausea are not that well known. Sone of the sensations and motor pathways are certainly controlled by the vagus nerve (wretch and vomiting), but the perception of visceral sensations such as nausea are more complex and more than likely also have some input (probably inhibitory) from spinal autonomic ganglia. The ganglia which innervate this part of the body are from the upper vertebrae. It's possible that the back pain could either be producing extra excitatory input to the nausea centres in the nts or that it has a common cause perhaps a trapped nerve which results in loss of the inhibition of sensations of nausea. It's a bit weird for it to be so specific though. Have you not had any other symptoms such as shortness of breath?

Yes, also had shortness of breath on two occasions.

Heart racing also?

Yes.................. Just on two separate occasions.