Where do I go for information about University?

I am interested in studying at either of the Sheffield universities - as a mature student. Does anybody know if there is a place/website I can go to find out more info?

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/mature

University of Sheffield are very helpful with mature students; good luck in finding the right course.

Obviously there is a difference between the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam, but the differences are not always obvious. In some subject areas, SHU will outrank UoS.

Anyway, news this year was that SHU was heading up the rankings:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/mediacentre/sheffield-hallam-rises-rankings

It's now the top ranked modern university in the north of England.

Rankings are misleading. I can categorically say hallam is better for business related subjects than SU. Even the teachers, one of which teaches on both courses says its better.

No. Quite the opposite. I do get to meet a lot of very senior executives who wouldn't have you on the board if you weren't Oxford or Cambridge.

I'm sure this will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/revealed-record-as-six-uk-universities-are-in-worlds-best-8805578.html

At least you didn't go to Bolton Polytechnic...sorry.. university.

Hmm it seems people are misinformed doesn't it? I wonder why the top 2 US universities are the top of the list seeing as US first degrees are only equivalent to a UK 3rd?

Did you go to Bolton Poly then?

The OP's username suggests they are about 36

Im not 43.

In my experience mature students are less capable / independent than their younger counterparts and need to be spoon-fed a lot more. This is probably because they've been out of education for a long time and aren't used to thinking for themselves. They also tend to be the louder more arrogant members of a seminar who the other students roll their eyes at.

My experience has been exactly the opposite.

Sheffield University is part of the Russell Group and therefore highly respected. Hallam is a converted polytechnic and not really in the same league. With degrees of various sorts being handed out like confetti these days the place where a qualification was obtained is more important that the qualification itself.

Surely that depends on the subject and what the intended aim is. UoS dont offer a degree that would lead to employment in my profession, and many others.

Interestingly even though UoS is a research-led university, and SHU a teaching-led one, it was SHU that did really well in the recent Research Excellence Framework assessment (rising 25 places in the UK league table), whereas UoS did badly (dropping out of the top 10 for the first time in a long time).

Interestingly even though UoS is a research-led university, and SHU a teaching-led one, it was SHU that did really well in the recent Research Excellence Framework assessment (rising 25 places in the UK league table), whereas UoS did badly (dropping out of the top 10 for the first time in a long time).

Actually the University of Sheffield did very well in REF with a number of top 5 departments, SHU also did well, but they were much lower down in the first place.

I went to SHU and enjoyed my time (Business course with sandwich year), and it really did help me in my career but I honestly believe they're a revolving door for degrees and the support/teaching is second rate compared to the University of Sheffield.

I'd never heard of the Russell Group, and I didn't understand what it meant...I do now.