Should Police should crack down on Drunk and Disorderly?

We already have a perfectly good law, called 'Drunk and Disorderly' for which you can be arrested and banged up for the night. Trouble is, it seems to be no longer enforced which is a pity.

I appreciate coppers have a lot to do, but I think things have gone too far. Maybe they could start picking on drunks and issuing heavy fines rather than picking on motorists who overstay a parking meter by a few minutes...

And yes, I have and I am bitter...

We already have a perfectly good law, called 'Drunk and Disorderly' for which you can be arrested and banged up for the night. Trouble is, it seems to be no longer enforced which is a pity.

And that is what happens, the police do not enforce a law, so they bring out a stiffer one.

There should be no charge for A+E, but a charge of £50 if you are disorderly.

Bitter? Misguided more like.

Since when did Police Officers issue parking fines?

The police do arrest for drunk and disorderly. Anyone caught in the act creating a disturbance, being threatening or violent, causing damage, causing a hazard will be dealt with. I don't know the stats but I suspect that the charge offices will have a fair few van loads to deal with every weekend.

However, what are you supposed to do with the rest. Thousands and thousands of people out and about getting merry. You cant arrest them all. Where does it become a point intervention and arrest.

There is no specific guidelines to what constitutes "D&D" and with limited policing vs thousands of revellers someone has to prioritise accordingly.

Do you arrest the bunch of lasses being mouthy going weeble wobble down the road? Do you arrest the guy holding his kebab being sick down the edge of a building? Do you arrest the lads shouting dirty jokes to each other whilst waiting in the taxi queue? Do you arrest the newly mets having a fumble with each other in the shop doorway? Do you arrest the married couple having a barney with each other whilst in the burger bar?

Likely sights each and every night in multiple occasions. All likely situations to be classed as D&D.

Blimey, the cells would be full to bursting.

I appreciate coppers have a lot to do, but I think things have gone too far. Maybe they could start picking on drunks and issuing heavy fines rather than picking on motorists who overstay a parking meter by a few minutes...

And yes, I have and I am bitter...

You are confusing police with Amey.

The worst thing they did was to have almost 24 hour drinking allowed. Bring back sensible pub/club laws, it will change things for the better.

24 hour drinking solved a problem for starters. What happened before then was when the bell tolled for last orders people would rush to the bar and buy a couple of pints at least. Then they would be asked to rush their drinks so drinking them in quick succession.

The solution would be to have proper 24hr drinking which we dont have here. Then people would pace themselves relax have a drink not be rushed and therefore not go out rush and get drunk and be blotto.

The worst thing they did was to have almost 24 hour drinking allowed. Bring back sensible pub/club laws, it will change things for the better.

Yea cos things were so civilised back then.

I don't remember getting to the pub, ordering everything double and drinking as fast as possible to get leathered before closing time.

I don't remember the pubs shutting, everyone spilling out onto the street and having to negotiate drunks fighting, arguing with bouncers and generally pratting around.

Yea cos things were so civilised back then.

I don't remember getting to the pub, ordering everything double and drinking as fast as possible to get leathered before closing time.

I don't remember the pubs shutting, everyone spilling out onto the street and having to negotiate drunks fighting, arguing with bouncers and generally pratting around.

I don't recall pubs having bouncers in those days either.

Maybe a few did but that was a tiny minority.

In my younger days, you didn't need to get legless to have a fun night out. It seems now that getting legless IS a fun night out.

Very strange, and sad.

Bitter? Misguided more like.

Since when did Police Officers issue parking fines?

The police do arrest for drunk and disorderly. Anyone caught in the act creating a disturbance, being threatening or violent, causing damage, causing a hazard will be dealt with. I don't know the stats but I suspect that the charge offices will have a fair few van loads to deal with every weekend.

However, what are you supposed to do with the rest. Thousands and thousands of people out and about getting merry. You cant arrest them all. Where does it become a point intervention and arrest.

There is no specific guidelines to what constitutes "D&D" and with limited policing vs thousands of revellers someone has to prioritise accordingly.

Do you arrest the bunch of lasses being mouthy going weeble wobble down the road? Do you arrest the guy holding his kebab being sick down the edge of a building? Do you arrest the lads shouting dirty jokes to each other whilst waiting in the taxi queue? Do you arrest the newly mets having a fumble with each other in the shop doorway? Do you arrest the married couple having a barney with each other whilst in the burger bar?

Likely sights each and every night in multiple occasions. All likely situations to be classed as D&D.

Blimey, the cells would be full to bursting.

I think anyone attending A&E because of Saturday night binge drinking should be given a '3 strikes and you're out' type record. After that, or maybe even after the second occasion they should be made to pay the full cost of their treatment.

As for the generally bad behaviour, it's a pity they don't have more self respect. Personally I'd film them when they're drunk and being obnoxious then show it them wjen they're sober.

To the very first question................... yes.

Anti social chavvy behaviour and gangs of chavs need cracking down on first imo, and chavs with vauxhall pea shooting noisy exhausts at the same time