Where can I buy some chickens?

Fresh start for hens, best hens we ever had! Saved them from the chop x

Why is saving from the chop a good thing? These birds have been bred to lay like crazy so they burn out quickly, hence the farmer getting rid of them. Animals are raised to eat (unless you are vegetarian) so why the problem if these are slaughtered humanely? I'm not in favour of caged hens so buying these hens, or having anything to do with eggs from caged birds does help to continue caged hen farming. These hens will have been 'encouraged/forced' to lay for longer by using lights to extend their laying season. I kept these hybrids as free range birds for many years so I do know their problems.

If you want these hybrid get them as youngsters and give them a good life.

If most people saw how cheap, mass produced chickens were treated while being reared and transported they would more than likely change their opinions.

I also recommend Fresh Start. Chez I agree with what your saying and completely disagree with and do not support battery farming. However, it does happen and offering these chickens a bit of a second chance surely can't be a bad thing. I had mine for 2/3 years and they both laid well despite their bad start.

I respect you right to disagree but I think you are a bit confused about the facts and aren't up to date. Battery farming is illegal, its caged hens now. Caged isn't much better than battery, neither is some of the condition of barn reared hens if you look at the definitions and conditions they are kept in. Have a look at some of the facts via DEFRA or the Poultry club of Great Britain if you don't believe me.

They aren't bred to live long and happy lives. The heavy laying takes such a toll on their bodies so they don't live as happy and healthy as most other breeds. They suffer from prolapses and lay soft shelled eggs after a while because they can't process enough calcium even if you give them supplements. This makes it more difficult for them to actually lay the egg and more likely to suffer from egg peritonitis. I have kept poultry for fifteen years and used to breed rare breed poultry so I do have first hand experience. A lot of my fellow keepers were small holders, farmers or poultry judges so its not just my personal experience or opinion.

By supporting this sector in any way you are helping the industry to continue the practice. If you think its acceptable then fine, it is legal and you are entitled to your opinion. Just please be aware of the facts so you can form an opinion based on fact rather than misguided sentiment. I care about animal welfare a great deal, hence my comments and refusal to buy products I consider to have caused discomfort during the life of the animal.

Hope you've thought long and hard about this. You need a solid fox proof enclosure, well fenced area and will need someone to look after them when you go away. Also it is likely your daughter will soon tire of them. Children are like that with animals