No 30 bus no show!!

Oh dear, my heart bleeds. Haven't since a First bus up Stannington since early Christmas Eve. No, tell a lie, I've just seen the TM Bradfield bus go down the road but First haven't even attempted to get anywhere near Stannington ... and you all know what I think of First buses. I've even seen a cyclist go up the hill but still no bus.

Don't understand why the 30 bus stopped using Beaver Hill Road yesterday (Saturday), they were using it in the morning, before the gritters arrived.

For the record today (Sunday), the 30 is using Beaver Hill Road (or they were this morning)

First need their operating licence for Sheffield revoked

CORRECT! And whoever has the contract for gritting too.

It's the farce of a company Amey for gritting, but agree both should loose their contracts

Beighton. rely on 30, 30A, 123. all year. had my wellies stored in the shed just in case this past 2 years. Now just to find the padlock key for tomorrow;)

First is a farce of a company. One flake of snow falls and 90% of the services get pulled, regardless.

I wonder, as most of their routes are subsidised, do these subsidies get paid back if they fail to run a service or is the tax payer still funding a non-existent service.

It's about time a fining system, similar to the ones for the train companies, was introduced. Maybe then we'll get a service as promised.

To those that say complain to First rather than post on a public forum, it's pointless contacting First as you will just be LIED to (personal experience on multiple occasions)

although this thread is about a TM Travel service....

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 18:15 ----------

First is a farce of a company. One flake of snow falls and 90% of the services get pulled, regardless.

I wonder, as most of their routes are subsidised, do these subsidies get paid back if they fail to run a service or is the tax payer still funding a non-existent service.

It's about time a fining system, similar to the ones for the train companies, was introduced. Maybe then we'll get a service as promised.

To those that say complain to First rather than post on a public forum, it's pointless contacting First as you will just be LIED to (personal experience on multiple occasions)

Actually the majority of First's network is run commercially - most of the tendered services which receive public subsidy are operated by companies like TM Travel or Sheffield Community Transport.

That said, First do have some contracts, although mostly the subsidy is to add evening/Sunday services to routes operated commercially during the day.

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 18:19 ----------

Whilst I have to say First do seem more risk averse than other operators - for example on Saturday the Stagecoach 25 ran to Bradway whilst the First 25A terminated at Meadowhead I think some of the comments are somewhat unfair.

The simple fact is they cannot safely run buses if

- the roads are icy

- the roads are obstructed by abandoned cars

- the bus terminus is out of use and no alternative turning facility is available.

Edited by Andy C

But how can other companies say it's safe to run and first don't using the same roads?