Looking for t-shirt-hoodie supplier/printer for new business!

Hello everyone

I'm starting a new online business which I think has the potential to go global. My market research (from actual clothes designers as well as potential customers) also believe that is very innovative and has a lot of potential. Will give you more info if you are interested

I'm looking for a t-shirt and hoodie (for both men and women) supplier and printer who is able to work on demand and is located in Sheffield (obviously i live here).

I'm planning on selling my products for around £16-18 per shirt, £20-22 per hoodie (help on pricing would be welcome), and hoping to to pay around 20-25% of that per t-shirt. Take in account that there could be hundreds of orders within a few weeks or a couple of months. 20-25% would go to you, 30% to a 3rd party, 5% to fees and the rest to me. Sure, i could order loads of Chinese t-shirts from alibaba but mostly the quality is terrible, and i'd rather have someone local as my business partner.

If you are interested or know someone who might be, please do let me know

Thank you

Designthetrend.com (still under construction)

(you can also text me at : 07713863075)

Edited by Designtrend

£4 per shirt? That's not a lot. For that you would be getting the cheap Chinese shirts.

Biggest advice I can give you is don't think global. Make it work local first.

Also it is nice to try and keep things in Sheffield, but it isn't 1950 and we now have the internet. For the price margins you are talking about you need a firm with massive economies of scale. To my knowledge there aren't any in Sheffield.

A friend of mine has a clothing business specializing in bespoke items of this type. I don't know the cos price at all and he is based in Wakefield. Happy to put you in touch though if you think it's worth a chat

£4 per shirt? That's not a lot. For that you would be getting the cheap Chinese shirts.

Biggest advice I can give you is don't think global. Make it work local first.

Also it is nice to try and keep things in Sheffield, but it isn't 1950 and we now have the internet. For the price margins you are talking about you need a firm with massive economies of scale. To my knowledge there aren't any in Sheffield.

Well although I understand what you mean, what I mean by globally is that anyone can easily use it since its online and I'm already working out a deal with shippers who are willing to give me discount prices because they think mybidea is good. And the reason the price is cheap (mind you, you can get some decent t-shirts in places like primark for this price) is that this idea has the potential to bring 100s of customers per week. Also,You can buy some decent whole sale clothes in the UK for about 1.50 -2 but I am not aware of the cost of printing locally. So hopefully I can convince someone local to deal with me as it'd be nice to make someone here a bit of money.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 01:18 ----------

A friend of mine has a clothing business specializing in bespoke items of this type. I don't know the cos price at all and he is based in Wakefield. Happy to put you in touch though if you think it's worth a chat

Yes that would be vastly appreciated. Thank you very much

I would hazard a guess that your idea is for people to create a design, and upload it to your site, where the public can log on and buy it for £16+ a time.

A trend is something that has been featured in Hello or Heat magazine. If by then it is a trend people will be buying it from Topshop for a tenner. Very very few people will spend big money on an unproven design.

I hate to put down an idea but this has all been done before, about 10 years ago. Some firms still exist but they survive on the whole logos on mugs, keyrings market. People used to gave MySpace pages and then link them to an online shop, customer ordered t-shirt and the company processed order and delivered, giving the client a small percentage of the sale.

Good luck with it all but I would change direction. Start small, find a t shirt printing firm and offer them sales leads. Go round Universities, work places, collect orders and negotiate a commission.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 13:05 ----------

I'm already working out a deal with shippers who are willing to give me discount prices because they think mybidea is good.

They want your business and will say anything to get it. Courier delivery is a dog eat dog industry with lots of competition.

Don't let anyone tell you your idea is a good idea except for your customers.

I think designed tshirts is still a good idea. The model is old but that doesnt matter. Its execution which counts.

There is a demand for cool designed tshirts. Just need an innovative designer and to build a brand.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 13:30 ----------

But go high end. Dont faff about low or mid range. Id sell 30 to 50 per t shirt. You can always discount.

I would hazard a guess that your idea is for people to create a design, and upload it to your site, where the public can log on and buy it for £16+ a time.

A trend is something that has been featured in Hello or Heat magazine. If by then it is a trend people will be buying it from Topshop for a tenner. Very very few people will spend big money on an unproven design.

I hate to put down an idea but this has all been done before, about 10 years ago. Some firms still exist but they survive on the whole logos on mugs, keyrings market. People used to gave MySpace pages and then link them to an online shop, customer ordered t-shirt and the company processed order and delivered, giving the client a small percentage of the sale.

Good luck with it all but I would change direction. Start small, find a t shirt printing firm and offer them sales leads. Go round Universities, work places, collect orders and negotiate a commission.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 13:05 ----------

They want your business and will say anything to get it. Courier delivery is a dog eat dog industry with lots of competition.

Don't let anyone tell you your idea is a good idea except for your customers.

Thank you! It doesn't put me down, the more I know about the business the better. The business would be in a way like that, it is user designed (although I will also be selling my own designs as well as other brands) and I have an idea to ensure that only clothes that people like will be sold, im not going to let just anybody be a seller. And I understand every business its a risk but this is cheap to set up and I have £300 on free advertising so I think for a start that'll be good so if it wasn't successful not too much trouble but if it is then great

Well I've only spoke to big companies so far, and they are offering some good deals but if anyone here know of some good, cheap reputable companies I will be grateful! (specially those who don't want to steal my business ;) )

Cheers

Thank you! It doesn't put me down, the more I know about the business the better. The business would be in a way like that, it is user designed (although I will also be selling my own designs as well as other brands) and I have an idea to ensure that only clothes that people like will be sold, im not going to let just anybody be a seller. And I understand every business its a risk but this is cheap to set up and I have £300 on free advertising so I think for a start that'll be good so if it wasn't successful not too much trouble but if it is then great

Well I've only spoke to big companies so far, and they are offering some good deals but if anyone here know of some good, cheap reputable companies I will be grateful! (specially those who don't want to steal my business ;) )

Cheers

http://www.bangtidyclothing.co.uk :)

I've given them a shout, thanks mate

You are welcome

I have't got much feedback on my designs yet, so I'd appreciate if you tell me if you think think they have potential.

Here;s an example of one of them

snag.gy/B9xuF.jpg

(doesn't let me post direct link, just copy and paste)

I think the prices you're expecting to pay are way too low, especially considering you want a bespoke service if i've followed this right. You cant even buy the hoody blanks for that price and as for tees yes you can get for a couple of £ but not for quality. This then still relies on someone being willing to set up each design and do the work for a pittance. Ask yourself would you do the work for £1 or less? The only way you'll get prices even close is for large bulk orders which sounds as though wouldn't be suited and this is risky, what if the designs don't sell? what if the quality isn't up to scatch which is likely at this price. Not many people will want to do one tshirt at a time for what you're offering, its not worth bothering and as you aren't established you can't make the promise yet of huge repeat orders. It may be that you have to pay more in the beginning and as your business and reputation grows renegotiate for better prices.

I think it's great when people start up businesses, but you need to be realistic, working on worst case scenarios rather than best. Good luck