What advice would you give your 21 year old self?

Basically, any responsible lender should have turned you away?

And people on here have the cheek to blame people like you rather than the banks?!

95% mortgages shouldn't exist. They should have asked for a copy of your employment contract, because I'm assuming you were on some sort of probation period?

I know I'm a bit of a banker basher, but you should have never been given that mortgage.

I should have had the good sense not to apply in the first place or make it work. I got it, relationship I was in hit the buffers so I sold it - just before prices shot through the roof, I wasn't repossessed. My peers bought around the same and are doing alright.

As far as bad decisions go, I'm still not sure if that makes my top 5.....

But they were my decisions. Not the banks not the various flavoured governments not my parents or teachers but mine. I could blame the banks but it's down to me I'm afraid.

I should have had the good sense not to apply in the first place or make it work. I got it, relationship I was in hit the buffers so I sold it - just before prices shot through the roof, I wasn't repossessed. My peers bought around the same and are doing alright.

As far as bad decisions go, I'm still not sure if that makes my top 5.....

But they were my decisions. Not the banks not the various flavoured governments not my parents or teachers but mine. I could blame the banks but it's down to me I'm afraid.

Sorry, but it's the banks fault....100%.

Sorry, but it's the banks fault....100%.

Well that's one off the list then. I'll sort out my top 10 **** ups and we can make the rest someone else's fault too!

Well that's one off the list then. I'll sort out my top 10 **** ups and we can make the rest someone else's fault too!

Well of cause it was. All banks want is to write your debt. That's how they print money.

Would you have applied for the loan if it was an 80% or 75% loan? Should the banks have checked your contract to see if you'd passed your probation period? I'd say that's one check a responsible lender shouldn't let slip through the cracks.

You're living proof that sensible people will apply for these silly loans given half the chance.

Well of cause it was. All banks want is to write your debt. That's how they print money.

Would you have applied for the loan if it was an 80% or 75% loan? Should the banks have checked your contract to see if you'd passed your probation period? I'd say that's one check a responsible lender shouldn't let slip through the cracks.

You're living proof that sensible people will apply for these silly loans given half the chance.

I don't even recall a probation period - that really isn't the issue here! Fact is I shouldn't have got rid - it's all connected to other things I'd rather not go in to. And the interest rate wasn't even daft either - it was quite good if memory serves. Different times.

Learn to not care what people think of you and never be scared to tell people exactly what you think.

The 2008 crash?

I think aslong as you realise there will be another recession in a few years you can plan for it.

No, 2001 when I graduated.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 12:00 ----------

Erm don't choose buying your house over your phD then also never write that first post on SF both of them would make my life totally different, don;t know if it would be better but i think the odds are way in my favour it would :)

If SF is a negative for you, just stop.

No, 2001 when I graduated.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 12:00 ----------

If SF is a negative for you, just stop.

Lol its not now thanks, i met my ex/ the father of my kids on here which was a major mistake but its over now would just have all been very different if i hadn't wrote that first message.

If we could go back in time machine, what advice would you give your younger self?

i would advise against getting into a relationship with the guy who is now my ex :D

Choose the 'other job' that you got offered the same day..seriously do it.

Ignore the career you're building, have a baby, see the world and have a good time, because in 5 years' time your career, your ability to have babies and all of your ability to travel, do most leisure stuff and get out and do things will be over.