Looking for a buddy!

Hi there! Merry Christmas to all! I hope its peaceful and happy ;)

This is a little bit of a cry for guidance, inspiration and support really! Up until a couple of years ago, I was extremely fit and regularly ran in excess of 40 miles per week with friends. About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and became extremely ill. I spent 2 months in hospital and was left in a very fragile physical state as a result. It didn't do much for my mental health either.

I am looking to take up some form of exercise, that will build lean muscle mass and push my body in a new way, I feel that this is an opportunity to open my mind to new, exciting ways to keep fit that I can build into my routine gradually while I build my strength back up.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions that perhaps helped them out of a rut, or got them back into training.....maybe something that involves a goal to aim towards? I have lost a lot of confidence since my illness, and would really like to get involved in something that will encourage my health and fitness levels as a whole.

Any suggestions, personal stories or just ideas would be much appreciated.

From a little bit of a lost sheep at Christmas!

Thank you all! :help:

I recently got into triathlon.

Its the best way to get fit as its low impact, uses upper and lower body. Heart wise its fantastic.

Ive got 8 months training to do, im going soft as weight to lose first. If you fancy a cycle, swim or light jog pm me be happy to have a partner.

Likewise tennis. Although its a bit cold for that right now!

---------- Post added 25-12-2014 at 18:50 ----------

Im sporty like you. Just the off season turned into an off few years! Easily done when youre busy.

Hi there! Merry Christmas to all! I hope its peaceful and happy ;)

This is a little bit of a cry for guidance, inspiration and support really! Up until a couple of years ago, I was extremely fit and regularly ran in excess of 40 miles per week with friends. About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and became extremely ill. I spent 2 months in hospital and was left in a very fragile physical state as a result. It didn't do much for my mental health either.

I am looking to take up some form of exercise, that will build lean muscle mass and push my body in a new way, I feel that this is an opportunity to open my mind to new, exciting ways to keep fit that I can build into my routine gradually while I build my strength back up.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions that perhaps helped them out of a rut, or got them back into training.....maybe something that involves a goal to aim towards? I have lost a lot of confidence since my illness, and would really like to get involved in something that will encourage my health and fitness levels as a whole.

Any suggestions, personal stories or just ideas would be much appreciated.

From a little bit of a lost sheep at Christmas!

Thank you all! :help:

I can relate to that- I used to be well into weight training, bits of cardio, and generally pushing myself.

At 47 though, I've had to switch priorities. Constant tendon issues and symptoms suggesting overtraining made it quite clear to me that extreme fitness, and, health, are not necessarily good bedfellows.

A drastic change of diet (eliminating pretty much all processed 'foods') and focusing training on actual health (as opposed to pursuing fitness achievements) has got me back on track.

The good news is that, once I started eating properly and lost almost 2 stone, it became apparent just how little training is necessary to be in really good shape.

Currently doing mainly callisthenics, with very small amounts of weights incorporated, varying from 2 to 3, 30 minute sessions/week.

Along with a fair bit of (chilled) walking and cycling (I don't drive).

I don't bother with cardio, as, once I got rid of the excess fat, I found I could breathe way better. Also, I'm aware of the large amounts of evidence indicating that extreme amounts of cardio training damages health.

My advice to you would be to avoid running anything like 40 miles a week. If health is your priority, a few chilled 20 minute runs a week will suffice; plus, a bit of callisthenics to keep the muscles toned.

Hi, there is a kickboxing-based fitness class (not kickboxing class bit fitness class!) in Sharrow (Old Junior School). I used to attend the class and it was a great fitness class. I have health issues too but instructor was really a warm and friendly person who was ever so supportive and let me do things at my phase if I was struggling. The group was friendly too :)

Hi,

I am looking for a 'buddy' to help motivate me get back into swimming/walking/any type of excercise. I lost weight about 4 years ago but its gradually crept back on, as I really find it difficult to motivate myself. (I'm good at motivating other people lol!!)

I am a full member of Hillsborough leisure centre, so anything there would be fine, and live in the Stannington area so plenty of countryside for walking/cycling

Do you think we could help each other?

Thanks