'Recommended Knitting & Crochet Links' sticky thread has been updated

I've just updated the 'Recommended Links' sticky post at the top of the page with some new sites for free patterns and some more knitting blogs.

If there are any other sites you find and want adding to the list, just let me know :) .

Just updated with some new blogs by UK knitters. I've also added a link to KnitCast - the Podcast for knitters :) .

Updated today with some new internet knitting shops.

Updated again, with a list of blogs by blokes who knit.

Hi Hecate, glad to note you haven't recommended a certain online yarn shop. I'll spare their blushes by not naming them but their service is currently appalling. I eventually got my needles almost three months after placing my order, having been told they had no record of it (even though they'd sent half the products). I've seen many many appalling reports of them on the internet, and they are totally uncontactable when you're trying to chase up your order. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody, maybe they'll realise they've got to pull their (knitted!) socks up if they don't want to lose all their business.

Hi Twiglet, I know exactly who you're referring to. Three months! That's outrageous! It's such a shame too, because the shop front looks so tempting. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was on the UK Handknitters Yahoo group) that the company concerned had a problem with the machinations of an aggrieved ex-employee, who had taken to spreading dirt where she could. Allegedly.

However, I'd also heard tales of poor service too, of which yours seems to be typical. Actually, now I come to think of it, I believe others had waited weeks not months for their order.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but an order for knitting needles seems simple enough to fulfil. Being out of stock is fair enough; it's the lack of communication which is the problem.

I ordered a pattern from McA Direct back in February. When I next checked my email, I noticed they'd sent me a message saying that the pattern had just that day gone out of stock and although they were expecting more soon, would I be interested in a couple of similar alternatives? The pattern was for a basic pair of gloves and mittens, and the alternatives were virtually identical, except from different manufacturers. I said I'd wait for the original pattern though, and within 10 days, it had arrived. In short, ideal service in a time when there might have been a problem with lack of communication.

I believe they may have had problems with an ex-employee, but that is no excuse or a practical reason for their ongoing problems. Just after I placed my order (January) I read some cases on forums of people still waiting for orders they'd placed in October and November, but there were reassurances from the owner that this was in the time the employee was sacked and everything would soon be sorted. When I still hadn't received the second part of my order by March I was getting seriously peeved. E-mailing them received no response (allegedly because of a spam filter), the phones were never answered, and they even shut down their forum (because of 'spammers') so you couldn't contact the owner via there. There were a few complaints on their own forum and I think it may have had something to do with the number that were appearing, doesn't really look good to have complaints about your company on its own forum!.

Eventually I got in touch with the owner via a direct e-mail address she left on a forum. It took two weeks for a response, but someone phoned me and left a message on my voicemail to say they'd lost my order and would phone back. They never phoned back but my order arrived within a few days. If they'd really lost my order how did they know what to send out when I'd never said what the missing item was in my e-mails?

I just feel sorry for all the customers who haven't happened upon this direct e-mail address and must be still without their orders.

I agree, it's dreadful service and there really is no excuse for it. I remember that the shop concerned had allegedly over-reached themselves with their decision to stock a fairly wide range of imported American yarns, but again, this is no excuse for poor communication. I've bought imported yarn from a couple of internet shops, and have never had a problem. If they're out of stock, their web sites are updated accordingly. It appears that some shops continue to take orders even when they are aware of a delay.

Again though, unless your knitting needle order was for some obscure, hand-carved needles from deepest, darkest Peru, it seems odd for such a delay. With automated ordering systems too, it just isn't on.

There can sometimes be delays associated with ordering some imported yarns like Lorna's Laces. This is because many of their yarns are hand-painted in relatively small lots. The British shops thus have a limited supply, and it tends to sell out quickly. I've never had a problem myself, but if I had, I would expect the company concerned to immediately advise me as to the situation, and give me the opportunity to cancel the order.

Just updated again with a new section containing helpful links for sock knitters.

Updated this morning with links to some more magazines for knitters, including the glorious 'Interweave Crochet' and 'Knit.1', the new knitting magazine from Vogue.

Just updated with more links to the companies whose yarns are available in the UK. Added links to some more magazines, and to a couple more organisations in the 'General Interest' section.

Just updated with a new section on knitting podcasts. No, you don't need an iPod to be able to listen to them... :) .