Christmas alone

So, I've never been in this situation before. Been on my own on Christmas day. Don't know yet how it will effect me. Just going through splitting up, she will go to her mums with stepson I assume. My kids already staying with my 1st ex for day. Anyone else ever been there, done that and got a tee shirt.

Fella, think about all the years that you've had to do vile stuff on others peoples terms. You are now free of that, ENJOY

ive been aloe on Christmas day for about 6yrs wasnt great , but i could watch what i want stay i my dressing gown all day and just be a slob,

Foxy78

Firstly - I empathise with your situation, splitting up creates a whole roller coaster ride of emotions and confusion - at any time of the year.

Christmas can be a real tough time (despite your current situation) if you are own your own. Even worse it can turn in to a pressure cooker of emotions if you have to spend time with family who don't get along.

I'm always honest about Christmas - I'm not a fan. (Please don't criticise me for saying so - it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the season)

From my perspective there is far too much emphasis on things having to be perfect. Perfection comes with costs. Sometimes it's financial when people spend far more than they can afford, sometimes it's emotional devastation when a hidden secret escapes during an argument, sometimes it's the self criticism that everyone is better than yourself because, for example, you don't think the dinner you made went down well.

Christmas Day is simply just another day. The world won't end just because you don't do the stereotypical things.

Since being divorced I've learnt that time on your own can be a good thing. It gives you the chance to reflect, do things that you want to do, instead of doing what other people expect or want you to do.

I do sometimes miss companionship and having a certain someone to share things with - but in a way that makes me appreciate even more the few people who do actually care and stick by your side when things are not going well - as opposed to the people who ask how you are, but don't really want to know the real answer.

New Years Eve - There's another social event we are supposed to be happy about without question. Unless I get a randomly outstanding offer, I'll choose to spend it on my own.

Whatever your religion or thoughts about Christmas I wish you peace and a prosperous new year.

I enjoy being on my own at Christmas. Not a problem. I try to work part of the day (as a careworker) then enjoy rest by myself

Some people are happy to be on their own and some are sad. If you are dreading it have no alternative but to be on your own (cant visit family, cant work, cant volunteer) then I would advise telling yourself its just a normal day! Dont listen to sad music or watch anything that will make you sad. Watch what makes you happy. Do what makes you happy.

Im not on my own at christmas but New Years Eve is a killer for me, bad memories and I dread it! So Instead of thinking of it as 'Happy New Year' I shall just be thinking of it as 'Happy Thursday'

Best thing is to be as blase as you can be and in 24hrs its over and done with! Sleep some, drink some and do what you would on a normal day at home. Just a normal day! Hope that helps :)

So, I've never been in this situation before. Been on my own on Christmas day. Don't know yet how it will effect me. Just going through splitting up, she will go to her mums with stepson I assume. My kids already staying with my 1st ex for day. Anyone else ever been there, done that and got a tee shirt.

I think there is a different in words with being alone, and feeling lonely. Do you think you might feel lonely? (I noticed the next bit says just split)

Christmas Day is, after all, just one day and it soon passes.

Relationships break down sometimes, that's normal. But, that doesn't have to lead to an acrimonious situation where the relationship with that person and any other related persons is completely wiped out.

It seems like there is more than one relationship here that has been lost. In fact, it sounds like several (including children).

I think that is very sad, sad for everyone involved.

I would be more inclined to concern myself with reflecting on how I came to be in such a situation, where different people from past relationships, no longer wanted to have anything to do with me at such a time of year? Fix that first and Christmas Day will take care of itself in future.

I lost my husband ten months ago so Christmas is just not going to be the same.

I shan't be on my own, I have family I shall be sharing the day with, and I will be working night duty but I miss having someone to cosset with all the niceties of the season.

A somewhat more ''idle'' Christmas, but ....................................

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 09:01 ----------

Time has a way of passing. It's only one Christmas in, one hopes, many more HAPPY Christmasses. Chin up. x

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 09:04 ----------

This to CAGLOVER.