Poisoning, Hillsbro Park.

Sadly this time it's not a rumour:

https://www.facebook.com/doggyden/posts/898029113638658

We need to make sure all dog owners are aware of the horrific, deliberate POISONING OF DOGS that is happening in and around walking spots in the RIVELIN area of sheffield.

Bread and meat laced with rat poison is being left out in dog walking areas.

We are so sad to inform you we have lost one of our beloved pack members Jet to this shocking crime. Needless to say we are devastated! Tom went to see her parents this morning with flowers. They are utterly inconsolable. So much pain caused by mindless, devastating actions!! Whoever is responsible for this is utter scum!! If you know anything please please contact South Yorkshire Police.

Please be vigilant if walking in these areas and keep your dog in your sight/ on a lead at all times.

Jet suffered massively in her last few hours, we have to do everything we can to stop this happening again!

Below are some pictures of our gorgeous Jet. She was just a wonderful girl! Only 8 months old, so healthy, happy and full of life! As you can see in her final picture with her dad at the vets she's just not the same dog. She's so unhappy and sick. Poor girl.

REST IN PEACE GORGEOUS GIRL

Xxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear it Victoria. Ring the Star, ring bbc and itv and get it well publicised. Get the scum caught.

I still haven't seen any actual evidence that these are the result of deliberate and concerted poisoning campaigns.

It still seems more likely that, on the rare occasions dogs are dying quickly in the way described, this is because of accidentally consuming poisons (natural or otherwise).

The myth has come up in Dronfield lately:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/police-say-dronfield-dog-poisoning-rumours-are-urban-myth-1-7162972#axzz3r0jKE2Ly

It must be true if its on facebook.

It must be true as I know the owner of the Doggy Den actually

That's not what Dannyno and Jan meant. The dog died because of poisoning, we know that bit is true. However, there is no proof that the poisoning was deliberate.

Thanks for explaining angel22 that's exactly the point.

This is in the first post from Doggy Den

"PLEASE SHARE!!

We need to make sure all dog owners are aware of the horrific, deliberate POISONING OF DOGS that is happening in and around walking spots in the RIVELIN area of sheffield.

Bread and meat laced with rat poison is being left out in dog walking areas."

This leads me to think there is some sort of proof.

After asking myself and seeing others have asked about which vet they saw and what the vet had said as well as what the authorities had said with no replays

to the questions. This.

" Alls we know is it's a poison. We stated rat poison as that's what's been found in similar incidents in Sheffield in the past. And the symptoms such as bleeding out of her eyes and nose are similar to rat poison we believe.

We could be mistaken but it's definitely a poison of some sort.

Thanks "

Not really a responsible or professional post to put out without the facts.

The assumption that rat poison would be to blame doesn't seem a safe one to me. The idea that rat poison makes an animal bleed from its eyes doesn't seem necessarily correct (although it's possible if there's an injury to the eyes). And nor would effects necessarily be as immediate as suggested.

Anyone who has used rat poison on rats knows that it is designed not to have an immediate effect, otherwise rat would not return to it. The point is that it prevents blood clotting, so when in the normal course of daily activity the animals suffers an injury, it will bleed to death, but from internal bleeding usually I think.

On the other hand, not all rat poisons are anticoagulants.

Read this:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/dogs/health/poisoning/common

Rodent Poisons (‘rodenticides’)

This refers to anticoagulant rodenticides, such as warfarin, which prevent blood clotting. Not all rodenticides are anticoagulants. It’s important to check which one has been ingested.

Poisoning may cause life-threatening bleeding; effects may not appear for several days. Bleeding may be internal and isn’t always visible.

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 18:18 ----------

It must be true as I know the owner of the Doggy Den actually

Well, you know the dog has sadly died, and of course there will be a lot of sympathy. But neither you nor, apparently, they, know why. And I'm not sure that spreading rumours of a concerted poisoning campaign is responsible.

There's a claim, for example, that "Bread and meat laced with rat poison is being left out in dog walking areas."

But I've not read anything to suggest that the dog owners have found any bread or meat laced with rat poison, or that they know that their dog ate it.

If this is a widespread attack on dogs, then someone will have seen the bread or meat, won't they? Most dogs are in view of their owners most of the time, so the bread or meat would need not to be well hidden, or dogs wouldn't find it. So where is it? And how would the culprits know that dogs would get it, rather than other animals, cats, birds, rodents etc? When would it be distributed? What if it rains?

If you really wanted to poison dogs (and it does happen), I don't think you'd target them this way.

The case in the facebook post also doesn't seem to follow the narrative. How long was the dog actually sick for?

Considering that the poster concerned knows the person involved and the in and outs of what happened, I would hazard a guess she probably knows quite a bit more about the case than the people pooh, poohing her.

But then, of course, this is Sheffield Forum. Proud home of denying Asian grooming was happening in Rotherham for a decade +.

So I'm not surprised.

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 19:41 ----------

Considering that the poster concerned knows the person involved and the in and outs of what happened, I would hazard a guess she probably knows quite a bit more about the case than the people pooh, poohing her.

But then, of course, this is Sheffield Forum. Proud home of denying Asian grooming was happening in Rotherham for a decade +.

So I'm not surprised.

No one is " pooh, poohing her." Just trying to get the facts. Regardless to how well the O.P. knows the person who posted this on face book this is what they asking people to share.

" deliberate POISONING OF DOGS that is happening in and around walking spots in the RIVELIN area of sheffield.

Bread and meat laced with rat poison is being left out in dog walking areas."

But later states.

" Alls we know is it's a poison. We stated rat poison as that's what's been found in similar incidents in Sheffield in the past. And the symptoms such as bleeding out of her eyes and nose are similar to rat poison we believe.

We could be mistaken but it's definitely a poison of some sort.

Thanks "

Which means all the person knew for sure when they put it on facebook is it was some sort of poison that killed the poor dog. Not that dogs are deliberately being poisoned with rat poison in the rivelin area.

Edited by Guest

What are the "ins and outs" of what happened? Nobody has told us any more than in the original sad but vague Facebook post.

There is a claim that dogs are deliberately being poisoned in the Rivelin area by people strewing the area with rat poison-laced food.

There is no evidence for that claim.

Have *you* seen any rat poison-laced food strewn around Rivelin? There must be quite a lot of it about.