Police surveilance at Drakehouse (Crystal peaks area)

Just curious guys.

I parked right outside Homebase shop at Drakehouse today and saw a police officer walking around cars looking at license plates and taking notes in a notebook...

I can't figure out still what could be the reason the police would use such obsolete methods to catch criminals if that's what they were really doing.

Really odd.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I would imagine its crime prevention. Police/ PCSO's routinely go round car parks and such like looking in cars for valuables on display and send the owners a letter saying we saw your car at such and such a time and noticed ie a sat nav or whatever on display.

Received one such letter myself a couple of years ago

I would imagine its crime prevention. Police/ PCSO's routinely go round car parks and such like looking in cars for valuables on display and send the owners a letter saying we saw your car at such and such a time and noticed ie a sat nav or whatever on display.

I got one of these too lol. I had just popped in to the house to pick up something and straight back out. Got a letter few days later describing everything that was on display in the car. It made me realise. I think it worked!

I'm a little confused why the police do this. Firstly even if you do put all your valubles on display (not that I am recommending it by the way) but that isnt an excuse for a criminal to steal it.

So instead of spending time and resources reducing our risk of crime why not spend more time catching those that do it.

Yes it will make you think but I would rather the resources go to catching the scumbags so it shouldnt matter if our items are on display or not.

I'm a little confused why the police do this. Firstly even if you do put all your valubles on display (not that I am recommending it by the way) but that isnt an excuse for a criminal to steal it.

So instead of spending time and resources reducing our risk of crime why not spend more time catching those that do it.

Yes it will make you think but I would rather the resources go to catching the scumbags so it shouldnt matter if our items are on display or not.

The same reason the fire service give advice regarding fire prevention, prevention is better than cure.

The same reason the fire service give advice regarding fire prevention, prevention is better than cure.

Ok for fire service I understand it as the cause of the fire (with the exception f arson) most likely an error made by the occupier. In the sad story of the fire in Nether Edge a none pat tested mobile charger.

However car theft is always deliberate and yes its good to take precautions I would have thought more resources dealing with the cause ( ie criminals) would be more beneficial.

Ok for fire service I understand it as the cause of the fire (with the exception f arson) most likely an error made by the occupier. In the sad story of the fire in Nether Edge a none pat tested mobile charger.

However car theft is always deliberate and yes its good to take precautions I would have thought more resources dealing with the cause ( ie criminals) would be more beneficial.

And how much do you think that would cost? Do you want the CID team to investigate every single car theft? Full fingerprint sweep, DNA analysis, psychological assessments...?

Come on now.

Maybe there's been a spate of car crime, thefts from vehicles, etc in the area recently. So they're patrolling, and while doing so also warning people who have left their valuables on display?

Seems pretty reasonable to me, they're trying to help you!

Maybe there's been a spate of car crime, thefts from vehicles, etc in the area recently. So they're patrolling, and while doing so also warning people who have left their valuables on display?

Seems pretty reasonable to me, they're trying to help you!

We also had an undercover PCSO accompanied by uniformed "trying" to gaing unsecured access in people's Homes during the daytime. I would have loved to know how many properties they were able to gain access too

Believe it or not, part of the PCSOs remit is crime prevention!

I too have had one of these Vulnerable vehicle letters having left my iPhone on the passenger seat.

It makes me think every time I leave the car " do I have any valuables on show?"

That's all it takes for the scumbags to move on to an easier target.

Yeah, checking tax disks , looking for a money making opportunity.

Yeah, checking tax disks , looking for a money making opportunity.

As tax discs are being done away with, I would imagine they will be checking number plates as well for owners details.