RIP Joe Cocker 22/12/2014

My introduction in Sheffield to so much great music. Saw him in early 60's; Black Cat, Blue Moon, Mojo, Esquire, Black Swan and City Hall e.t.c. and the pub on Shalesmoor that had a 'Liverpool Cavern' sort of place underneath, but forget the name. Must have been highly thought of, his passing made the national news today here in the U.S.A!... R.I.P. Joe

RIP Joe.

I first saw you as Vance Arnold and the Avengers at the Monsal Head Hotel in about 1964 (ish). Top man, I never stopped listening to your music, for which I thank you.

Yes, same here. Also Fleur de Lys at Totley, Shades Ecclesall Road and other venues. Some great nights. Last saw him at the City Hall.

Well worth a look when you have a couple of hours to spare. Beautifully filmed in HD.

If you don't have time to watch it all - skip to 1hr 10min

:)

Very sad news.I`m devastated.RIP Joe.Thanks for all the great music.

hes gone to see his mate George Gill who he last saw in Schabisch hall Germany about 4yrs ago,joe thought he had been dead for 30yrs and he got him up on stage to strum a tune with him. George was well known in Sheffield in the 60s with all the bands and played with Joe and a lot of the groups.George died shortly after seeing Joe for what was to be the last time.RIP.

RIP Joe, you had soul, so many good songs, Unchain My Heart x

So sorry to hear of the death of Joe Cocker. Far too soon. Many years ago there was a Joe Cocker poster in the window of a house on Wolseley Road near the end of Harwell Road and I think that was the house of his manager - any thoughts? Anyone have memories of his early concerts when he was performing as Vance Arnold and the Avengers?

I heard he died at home. What part of Sheffield was that in, then?

He died at his home, in the United States.

hes gone to see his mate George Gill who he last saw in Schabisch hall Germany about 4yrs ago,joe thought he had been dead for 30yrs and he got him up on stage to strum a tune with him. George was well known in Sheffield in the 60s with all the bands and played with Joe and a lot of the groups.George died shortly after seeing Joe for what was to be the last time.RIP.
I remember George well from his Scott William combo days Before Dave Hawley took over and I joined as Bassplayer.

The regular meeting place for bands in those days was Saturday lunchtime in the Stone house when Bill Hoffman ran it.Then after a few bevies down to the Sidewalk on Chapel Walk.If you had not got a job that night you could often pick up a job that might be going.

I stood in for Dave Green (Greenie) one Saturday night with Joe at the Students union,with Dave Memmott on drums and Dave Hopper on lead.

I think the pay was £2.10 shillings each.

RIP Joe ..........happy memories!

I would like to offer my Condolences to all family and friends of the greatest white blues/rnb singer born in this land!

We have lost a colossal personality and performer, who remained modest to the end!

May you rest in peace Joe, hopefully with a nice pint of Tetley's and plenty of Help from your Friends!

A fellow Lydgate Lane Junior School pupil, I used to see him at St. Columbas, Crosspool, Saturday night dance once a fortnight around 1960/61. Saturday nights at the Fleur de Lys - a perfect end to the week. Vance Arnold and the Avengers, their music and Stones's bitter.