Sheffield College Redundancies

Things will only get worse with 25% cuts. This will impact even more on the teaching of future learners.

Apparently there was a strike today at Hillsborough college, two of my friends kids were left to walk about college and mess about on FB all day till they decided to go home at 1.30 cause there was nothing for them to do - what a joke

Apparently there was a strike today at Hillsborough college, two of my friends kids were left to walk about college and mess about on FB all day till they decided to go home at 1.30 cause there was nothing for them to do - what a joke

or they could have gone to the library and done some revision as they will have been informed about the strike before hand

They would have known before they turned up today. Was there a reason they couldn't have gone to the library to revise given it's end of year and exam season?

Are most students that go to college aged 16+? I would hope by that age they are capable of doing some independent study....though I do understand there is a lot of special educational needs students that go to college and students incapable of passing the level 2 courses the first time around, so I could understand them needing some direction, as level 2 courses are pretty basic. Any student on a level 3 course should be more then capable of doing some independent study at that age.

I just think that there is very little hope for students if they cannot use their own initiative by the age of 16+. All they have to do is work out that the day could be used to revise/ improve on work/ do prior reading.

I guess they will not be heading to university soon or getting a job for a good few years yet as that requires use of initiative. The cynic in me tells me that it is the reason for the government made it compulsory for students to stay in education then cutting the funding of each student by 25%, keeps them out of the unemployment figures for longer and is cheaper for the taxpayer as parents also have to pay the keep. But if your cutting the budget by 25% you can't expect the same standard from already stretched staff.

Edited by Evei

If this is the case I don't think I'll be letting my son go to hillsborough, the least I would expect from a FE college is to have a qualified teacher / lecturer teaching my son - I think we will be looking else where he may have to chose something else to study. Are there any college tutors / staff on here that could clarify the situation??

I taught at Southgate College (now merged with Barnet College) for 30 yrs.

Every college lecturer in the FE Sector is required to hold a teaching qualification. You cannot teach without qualifying with a teaching certificate.

In-Service Training is constantly provided, in order to keep up to date with new innovations in teaching practices . Continuous Professional Development is mandatory. Management keep a detailed record of your activities.

As far as UCU members striking "right left and centre" such accusations are nonsense. Employment Law makes it very difficult to withdraw your labour. More than a days pay is lost.Pension contributions are lost. In addition ,striking is breach of contract. Teachers don't strike "willy nilly".

I taught at Southgate College (now merged with Barnet College) for 30 yrs.

Every college lecturer in the FE Sector is required to hold a teaching qualification. You cannot teach without qualifying with a teaching certificate.

A few years ago, I wangled my way into a teaching job in FE. As you say, you are required to 'hold a teaching qualification'. In my case, it was C & G 7307 - the most basic requirement. (Let's face it, only a mug would get a degree and waste it on teaching).

I got my qualification at Sheffield College and it was the most corrupt, manipulated course I've ever been on. Basically, if you turned up (3 hours on a Wednesday afternoon for 12 weeks), you were guaranteed to pass.

Even if you didn't turn up, you passed. Some wasters from a Council-Tax-squandering outfit called the Darnall Music Workshop missed the first week altogether. They turned up for the second session an hour late (cue the 'tutor' saying 'Better late than never!' :mad:) After that, they were never seen again. They passed.

And that's the problem with 'education' in this country. The teachers/tutors pass as many as possible 'cos it makes them look good. They don't seem to realise that some of the people they're passing aren't fit to run a whelk stall. And so it goes on.

A few years ago, I wangled my way into a teaching job in FE. As you say, you are required to 'hold a teaching qualification'. In my case, it was C & G 7307 - the most basic requirement. (Let's face it, only a mug would get a degree and waste it on teaching).

I got my qualification at Sheffield College and it was the most corrupt, manipulated course I've ever been on. Basically, if you turned up (3 hours on a Wednesday afternoon for 12 weeks), you were guaranteed to pass.

Even if you didn't turn up, you passed. Some wasters from a Council-Tax-squandering outfit called the Darnall Music Workshop missed the first week altogether. They turned up for the second session an hour late (cue the 'tutor' saying 'Better late than never!' :mad:) After that, they were never seen again. They passed.

And that's the problem with 'education' in this country. The teachers/tutors pass as many as possible 'cos it makes them look good. They don't seem to realise that some of the people they're passing aren't fit to run a whelk stall. And so it goes on.

Unfortunately I worked with some cynical wasters like yourself. In my experience such individuals didn't stay long. Management and OFSTED observations weeded them out. The procedures now in the FE Sector ensure that corrupt and bad practice can be exposed. Continuous Professional Development (mandatory) keeps tabs on those "reptiles" that have slithered their way into the classroom.

FE has had in the early days of "Incorporation" spivs and crooks running

the Establishments-but that was back in the 90s. Things have changed considerably since then. Also there's always going to be the "conspiracy" theorists with their,"did you know what" like you.

I dread to think of what occupation you've weedled yourself into now.

So it goe.

The FE Sector is not the "Private Sector". Although FE's are "Incorporated"they are still funded by the Tax Payer (You and me). Each College has a Board of Governors (Usually local worthies) The Principals like to call themselves "CEO" and there is a "Senior Management Team". There aren't any shareholders who receive a dividends like in a private company.

UCU is able to obtain a list of the salaries received by each College Principal. A person will be astonished at the levels of remuneration . Before Incorporation there was a limit on the salary attached to the job of College Principal. After Incorporation the sky became the limit. The history of Incorporation is dogged with sharp practice and nepotism -so much so that Private Eye started a column called "High Principals".

FE Colleges produce an "Annual Statement" (that does not make it a Private Company). It's possible to examine the contents and get a good impression, of whether or not the enterprise has been mismanaged or well managed.

Redundancies should always be the last resort. A whole raft of alternatives should be examined and implemented before declaring redundancies. However,some College Principals and Senior Managements don't have the wherewithal to grasp the details of Employment Law-and

redundancies become their first line of action.

A note worth remembering is that FE Colleges are funded upon the work and outcomes delivered by the teaching staff.

What are the salaries of the CEO, college principals & senior managers? I'm genuinely curious.

I dread to think of what occupation you've weedled yourself into now.

Never heard of 'attack a post, not a poster'? Plank.

Never heard of 'attack a post, not a poster'? Plank.

In your case it warranted an exception. Ting-a-ling.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 13:13 ----------

Mr M,

Salary for the Principal of Southgate College in 2009 was in excess of £100000. Senior Management salaries can be between £75000 and £80000. The Corporation (College) publish an Annual Report. The remuneration for the Principal and Senior Managers can be found in the Report. They get a lot of money.

An aside;FE Colleges are now scrutinised to the "n-th" degree. Sharp practice ,manipulation of results,crookedness,and poor teaching quality will be found out.

What are the salaries of the CEO, college principals & senior managers? I'm genuinely curious.

Too much!

Don't forget the pension contributions too.