Sheffield College Redundancies

The FE Sector is not the "Private Sector". Although FE's are "Incorporated"they are still funded by the Tax Payer (You and me). Each College has a Board of Governors (Usually local worthies) The Principals like to call themselves "CEO" and there is a "Senior Management Team". There aren't any shareholders who receive a dividends like in a private company.

UCU is able to obtain a list of the salaries received by each College Principal. A person will be astonished at the levels of remuneration . Before Incorporation there was a limit on the salary attached to the job of College Principal. After Incorporation the sky became the limit. The history of Incorporation is dogged with sharp practice and nepotism -so much so that Private Eye started a column called "High Principals".

FE Colleges produce an "Annual Statement" (that does not make it a Private Company). It's possible to examine the contents and get a good impression, of whether or not the enterprise has been mismanaged or well managed.

Redundancies should always be the last resort. A whole raft of alternatives should be examined and implemented before declaring redundancies. However,some College Principals and Senior Managements don't have the wherewithal to grasp the details of Employment Law-and

redundancies become their first line of action.

A note worth remembering is that FE Colleges are funded upon the work and outcomes delivered by the teaching staff.

Edited by petemcewan

The FE Sector is not the "Private Sector". Although FE's are "Incorporated"they are still funded by the Tax Payer (You and me). Each College has a Board of Governors (Usually local worthies) The Principals like to call themselves "CEO" and there is a "Senior Management Team". There aren't any shareholders who receive a dividends like in a private company.

UCU is able to obtain a list of the salaries received by each College Principal. A person will be astonished at the levels of remuneration . Before Incorporation there was a limit on the salary attached to the job of College Principal. After Incorporation the sky became the limit. The history of Incorporation is dogged with sharp practice and nepotism -so much so that Private Eye started a column called "High Principals".

FE Colleges produce an "Annual Statement" (that does not make it a Private Company). It's possible to examine the contents and get a good impression, of whether or not the enterprise has been mismanaged or well managed.

Redundancies should always be the last resort. A whole raft of alternatives should be examined and implemented before declaring redundancies. However,some College Principals and Senior Managements don't have the wherewithal to grasp the details of Employment Law-and

A note worth remembering is that FE Colleges are funded upon the work and outcomes delivered by the teaching staff.

Sheffields FE provision certainly went into a sad decline after incorporation, a bad day indeed.Coupled with the introduction of NVQs about the same time that were literally unknown by returning staff one new academic year was nothing but sheer bad management by all concerned.

A couple of years later a "one off" redundancy deal saw the sad loss of dozens of highly experienced/qualified lecturers who couldnt wait to leave .

A big loss for any young learner.

Update for those who live around Norton college.

The plans have changed.After plenty of bidders for the land,it now seems that it is going to be a mini retail park.Including a costa and a pub/ restaurant and a supermarket.

The plans have changed.After plenty of bidders for the land,it now seems that it is going to be a mini retail park.Including a costa and a pub/ restaurant and a supermarket.

Oh goody, just what we need another retail park:loopy:

Oh goody, just what we need another retail park:loopy:

Depends if you like shopping or not!!

Also a Wickes and an M&S.

75 redundancies have been announced at Sheffield College.

---------- Post added 22-12-2014 at 16:32 ----------

UCU members are currently balloting on strike action.

---------- Post added 22-12-2014 at 16:33 ----------

The college has proposed a complete restructuring of some college departments and the indications are that more will follow.

---------- Post added 22-12-2014 at 16:35 ----------

The college is proposing to make changes to lecturers pay structures and arrangements.

Finally something worth striking for. I get so angry about Unions these days striking left right and centre like the rail strike for example when they strike over pay even though they are paid hansomly. Here is an example of where strike action is necessary to protect jobs. So yes on this occasion I fully support strike action.

The plans have changed.After plenty of bidders for the land,it now seems that it is going to be a mini retail park.Including a costa and a pub/ restaurant and a supermarket.[/quote

Looking on planning applications, as yet there is nothing at all for the site apart from the new sports centre.

So where did you get this information from?

Queen Emma of A4E was one for quite a while. maybe a conflict of interest there.

Queen Emma of A4E was one for quite a while. maybe a conflict of interest there.

That is why I would never again drink a drop of Thornbridge beer.

If there are redundancies who will teach the students - a friend of mines daughter is at city college doing hair and beauty, last year the college made most of the lecturers redundant saying they didn't need them and replaced them with a Teaching assessor and the class are all over the place this new teacher or teaching assessor apparently teaches naff all and now she's falling behind with her work I fact the whole class's is behind she says she doesn't want to do her next year it's that bad.

My sons accepted a place at Hillsborough on a Public Service course so I'll be interested to see what happens.

I have it on good authority that sport and public service tutors are being made redundant and the students will be taught by the new technical trainers who are not qualified teachers ! So standards are slipping

If this is the case I don't think I'll be letting my son go to hillsborough, the least I would expect from a FE college is to have a qualified teacher / lecturer teaching my son - I think we will be looking else where he may have to chose something else to study. Are there any college tutors / staff on here that could clarify the situation??