City Centre car park prices

Anyone know who runs the car park on Holly St (next to City Hall)? I made the mistake of parking there a few nights ago, as I didn't realise it wasn't a council-owned park, and had already parked up. Would have gone to Carver St if I'd have known.

..and wander around in a consumerist daze with the thousands of other dullards who shop there...:D

Ah yes. The city centre's unique selling point. Shop here as there are no crowds or queues, although the pie you bought might have been on sale for 2 weeks.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 15:33 ----------

Plenty of free places to park no more then 5/6/7 tram stops outside of the City Centre if you know where to look.

Not really that handy if you have bought 6 grow bags.

Ah yes. The city centre's unique selling point. Shop here as there are no crowds or queues, although the pie you bought might have been on sale for 2 weeks.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 15:33 ----------

Not really that handy if you have bought 6 grow bags.

Neither would any of the current Park and Ride sites then, which is what I was replying to.

Roosterboost you always seem to be buying 6 grow bags , flat screen tvs and wardrobes every time you nip to the shops. Why not just get them delivered like most people?

Roosterboost you always seem to be buying 6 grow bags , flat screen tvs and wardrobes every time you nip to the shops. Why not just get them delivered like most people?

Or go to an out of town shop with a vehicle large enough :D

I don't know, I shop in town rather than meadowhall as it's more convenient for me but I presume that those who go for the shops which are there.

I shop in town. The thing is I like to buy fruit and veg and I use the post office a bit and also visit the central city library. There is nothing at Meadowhall unless it's probably to shop for a special occasion.

That is not my understanding of what happened.

The operators of that car park had planning consent for a temporary car park. The Council would normally only allow a car park to operate as a temporary one for a couple of years. My understanding is that one had been around for maybe 7 years or so.

When the operator applied for renewal of their temporary planning consent, they were told that it had been "temporary" for long enough and they either needed to bring it up to the standard required to gain planning consent for a permanent car park (ie proper surfacing, lighting etc ) or close it. They decided to close it, as it was about to be redeveloped for housing etc anyway.

The Council do not own that land as far as I am aware.

Ther are various Council car parks in that vicinity which charge only £2 per day and other private sector operators too, so there are alternatives available.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 12:30 ----------

And if you arrived after 4.30pm, you could have parked in a nearby Council on street bay for a flat fee of £2 for the whole period til 8.30pm when charging ends. Same in off street car parks for £1 flat fee.

If the council knew it was being developed at some stage why not let the original operator or an alternative one keep it open until development started, or leave it open as a free car park (god forbid), the alternatives you mention may be £2 but are no use if all taken and most of them are in midweek around this area.

You just gave yet another very good reason why so many folks don't pay for the inconvenience of shopping in the city centre. What a pity the council don't share your insight.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 23:56 ----------

Or go to an out of town shop with a vehicle large enough :D

You just gave yet another very good reason why so many folks don't pay for the inconvenience of shopping in the city centre. What a pity the council don't share your insight.:D

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 23:58 ----------

Neither would any of the current Park and Ride sites then, which is what I was replying to.

You just gave yet another very good reason why so many folks don't pay for the inconvenience of shopping in the city centre. What a pity the council don't share your insight.

I just use the pay and display on the side streets. if you know where to look and don't mind a 5 minute walk, There are loads to choose from. Most expensive is usually around £1 an hour but if you go a little further out it's only 50p an hour and still no more than a 10 minute walk.

Don't get conned by National Car Parks .

On Sunday a friend who doesn't know her way around Sheffield very well wanted to drive to John Lewis's. She thought that she would park in their car park and so entered the address in her iPhone Sat Nav. The Sat Nav took her to the NCP car park in Hartshead Square where she parked , thinking this must be the right car park for John Lewis's . Obviously it's not but she simply didn't know any better. She parked for just over 1 hour and was unpleasantly surprised when the charge on her return was £6.10 - Over 6 quid to park for 70 mins on a Sunday !! This must be the most expensive car park in Sheffield. We assumed that she must have entered the details into her Sat Nav incorrectly and that is why she ended up at the expensive car park with a fair walk to John Lewis's. I tried it on my iPhone and sure enough mine took me to Hartshead Square too . Is it just a coincidence or could it be that NCP have "sponsored" the APP so that it favours their car park so that they can draw unsuspecting visitors into their money pit ?

You are suggesting that a company can persuade Garmin or TomTom or Google or Apple (or whatever) to put incorrect postcodes in its database?

Dont be so absurd.

John Lewis's website has their postcode as S1 1EP and below it says:

(Sav nav users please use S1 2HB)

http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/sheffield

That postcode should send you down Burgess Street, where the John Lewis car park is.

Edited by alchresearch