City Centre car park prices

I've never gone in a car park before knowing how much it costs.

If I can't read the prices I go elsewhere, its not like there's short supply.

Hi, re reply regarding the absurdity of people messing about with postcodes to get people to their premises. If the correct post code is entered ( such as off John Lewis's site ) then the iPhone Sat Nav app will guide you there . But if you enter your destination as a request , such as "John Lewis's Car Park" then this can be easily be manipulated . In much the same way as an Internet search engine will bring the site with most hits up first and so a company can elevate their search result to the top of the pile by hitting their own site over and over - they have robots to do it which is why on some sites you often have to type a reply in the form of some obscure scrip - this is to try to stop these machines. So yes they can manipulate results and get people to their premises. As for the tariff board this can only be seen when you have actually turned into the car park and are at the barrier, so if other cars are behind you are a bit stuck really, you cant back out and if you go through the barrier you have either got to pay for up to a hour parking or argue the point when you have driven back round to the exit. As I say this Car Park is a Cash Pit for NCP

As I say this Car Park is a Cash Pit for NCP

Aren't their prices marked as you go in? And didn't she ask when she got there whether this was John Lewis? If she went to the wrong place, didn't check where she was and what the prices were she can't very well claim she was misled or ripped off.

I just tried on (google maps navigation on an android phone), entered john lewis. Top two options were "John Lewis, Sheffield" and "John Lewis Multi Storey carpark, Sheffield".

I tried them both and they both navigate to the correct place.

I just tried on (google maps navigation on an android phone), entered john lewis. Top two options were "John Lewis, Sheffield" and "John Lewis Multi Storey carpark, Sheffield".

I tried them both and they both navigate to the correct place.

Same for me.

I have to say I have some disbelief over our fellow poster's JL story. I simply do not believe that even for a newbie of Sheffield they would really think that Hartshead Square was the official car park for John Lewis.

Surely alarms bells would have rung when JL was nowhere in sight in front, alongside or behind the car park. Surely alarm bells would have rung even more when a 10-15 minute walk was needed to get to the store passing various other and closer car parking areas.

Notwithstanding the fact that signs showing the charging tariff were displayed before entry and a quick look on the JL website gives this clear note:

There's a car park attached to the shop which has 322 spaces. There are also other car parks situated on Charter Row, Carver Street and Furnival Gate.

If their tale is really true I would say lesson learnt. Don't be so blindly reliant on a sat nav. use your own eyes!

Hi, re reply regarding the absurdity of people messing about with postcodes to get people to their premises. If the correct post code is entered ( such as off John Lewis's site ) then the iPhone Sat Nav app will guide you there . But if you enter your destination as a request , such as "John Lewis's Car Park" then this can be easily be manipulated . In much the same way as an Internet search engine will bring the site with most hits up first and so a company can elevate their search result to the top of the pile by hitting their own site over and over - they have robots to do it which is why on some sites you often have to type a reply in the form of some obscure scrip - this is to try to stop these machines. So yes they can manipulate results and get people to their premises. As for the tariff board this can only be seen when you have actually turned into the car park and are at the barrier, so if other cars are behind you are a bit stuck really, you cant back out and if you go through the barrier you have either got to pay for up to a hour parking or argue the point when you have driven back round to the exit. As I say this Car Park is a Cash Pit for NCP

All car parks I'm aware of must offer a grace period in case you can't find a parking space for example and leave immediately, so in the circumstances where you drive up and get a ticket and nearly have a heart attack over the price, simply drive straight to the exit barrier and it will let you out without paying.

All car parks I'm aware of must offer a grace period in case you can't find a parking space for example and leave immediately, so in the circumstances where you drive up and get a ticket and nearly have a heart attack over the price, simply drive straight to the exit barrier and it will let you out without paying.

Doesn't the system count the cars in and out so it knows whether or not there's a space available? Genuine question..

Doesn't the system count the cars in and out so it knows whether or not there's a space available? Genuine question..

There may be some exceptions. I don't know if this is a legal requirement or not. Quick google didn't reveal anything about it but a lot of car parks have a comment in teeny tiny writing at the bottom of the prices boards saying something about 20 mins free or whatever.

Found this, but it's an article not a statement of face: http://www.britishparking.co.uk/News/good-car-parking-practice-includes-grace-periods

And from Parking Prankster who seems pretty knowledgable about this stuff: http://parking-prankster.blogspot.ro/2014/09/napier-parking-issue-ticket-for-12.html

Edited by sgtkate

Well its quite simple really - if you enter a barriered car park and dont like the fees being charge, simply drive to the exit barrier and ask to get out.

There may be some exceptions. I don't know if this is a legal requirement or not. Quick google didn't reveal anything about it but a lot of car parks have a comment in teeny tiny writing at the bottom of the prices boards saying something about 20 mins free or whatever.

Found this, but it's an article not a statement of face: http://www.britishparking.co.uk/News/good-car-parking-practice-includes-grace-periods

And from Parking Prankster who seems pretty knowledgable about this stuff: http://parking-prankster.blogspot.ro/2014/09/napier-parking-issue-ticket-for-12.html

OK...I was thinking more specifically of barrier controlled systems...

OK...I was thinking more specifically of barrier controlled systems...

Yes, that is for barrier controlled ones. Your ticket will allow you to leave without paying within the reasonable time set by the car park which should be advertised.

Been in John Lewis today spent £50, still had to pay £1.20 an hour to park, think its an absolute swiz! don't deserve our custom. Meadowhall in future me thinks!

Edited by nikki-red