I think I killed my laptop:(

Over time I have worked the power jack loose, it didn't help when I caught my foot on the lead last week, even though it still worked ok at the time. Now when I turn on the power is intermittent and there's an electrical burning smell so I can only use with the battery which us fine....but obviously this is now flat and I can't recharge , is it repairable? I really don't want to be shelling out for a new one right now, or how could I keep recharging the battery?

Help! :(

Sounds like you need to get the power jack replaced..

What is the make and model?

I can find out what sort of socket it needs, and find a price for you. :)

(Some are soldered onto the bored internally, some are easier and on a cable)

The burning smell sounds a bit worrying....I wonder if that's emanating from the power supply or the computer?

Pretty certain it's soldered to motherboard, just watched a u tube vid, can be done but not something I want to do!

I can get an external battery charger for £50 , no smell when I use the battery.

It's a samsung notebook 305e

Sounds like the duff element is just the power supply then....

It is soldered to the board on the Samsung 305E, The burning smell may not be anything too bad, I have known that happen when the socket dies because it causes a short in the socket, and melts the plastic...

Providing that there is no other damage to the board, it would be about £40 to strip down, clean and replace..

You could try real electronics. They've fixed some laptops for us before with pretty good results.

Gateway Business Centre

4 Leeds road

Sheffield

S9 3TY