The School in the Wicker?

A friend of mine would like to know the following if anyone could help:

What year was the school in the Wicker built and who was the first headmaster? It was possible that it was a boys school and the headmasters name could have been "Overend", we would like clarification of this. It is thought that some streets in Gleadless are named after him.

Many Thanks in advance,

Saltstein

Do you mean the one on Johnson Street,

there was a Wilson Overend, who was a prominent figure in Sheffield, mid 1800's perhaps the streets were named after him.

Are you refering to the School that was attached to Holy Trinity C.of E: Corner of Nursery Lane and Johnson Street?

It may have once been boys-only: however, by 1908 and persumably, until it closed in the late 20's/early30's, it was co-educational. My Mother and here sisters attended the school in the years 1908 -1921.

Occasionally, they would reminise about their school years but I don't recall the name "Overend" being mentioned.

Perhaps he was there in an earlier time.

Regards

Hi Retep,

Yes, that's the building. In my childhood, a paper supply company had most of the ground floor. The rest was used mainly as Sunday School rooms and by the 158 (Holy Trinity) Scout Troop and Cub Pack for meetings. One room even had a full size snooker table.

The upstairs was used as the Church Hall with a stage, movie projection room and a small kitchen in one corner. In WWII and for a short time afterwards, the church used to have regular film shows there, including a Saturday afternoon show for the local kids.

On the end, facing Johnson Street, the part painted white and the floors above, was the home of the church caretakers: A family I think was called Walker.

Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks

Thank you for the information, my friends maiden name is Overend and her fathers name was Leonard who worked at Henry Mathews timber merchant and told my friend about the school and the information you have all given me has helped my friend fill in a few gaps in her family tree.

Many Thanks,

Saltstein

Hi Retep,

Yes, that's the building. In my childhood, a paper supply company had most of the ground floor. The rest was used mainly as Sunday School rooms and by the 158 (Holy Trinity) Scout Troop and Cub Pack for meetings. One room even had a full size snooker table.

The upstairs was used as the Church Hall with a stage, movie projection room and a small kitchen in one corner. In WWII and for a short time afterwards, the church used to have regular film shows there, including a Saturday afternoon show for the local kids.

On the end, facing Johnson Street, the part painted white and the floors above, was the home of the church caretakers: A family I think was called Walker.

Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks

I think the upstairs church hall later became the Black Cat club.I used to play with the nephew of the Walkers,his name was Wally Hammond.

The school photo is of my mother in law. Lily Dawson was infact Lilian Dawson and Florence (Dolly) was her cousin.I am still tracing their family tree .

I think the upstairs church hall later became the Black Cat club.I used to play with the nephew of the Walkers,his name was Wally Hammond.

If I'm thinking of the right place,it became the "Blue Moon". the second Stringfellow club. The "Black Cat'" was St. Aidan's church hall on City Road.

If I'm thinking of the right place,it became the "Blue Moon". the second Stringfellow club. The "Black Cat'" was St. Aidan's church hall on City Road.

Spot on:thumbsup:

falls and chow chow my mother and sisters attended that school their name was wright they also got married at holy trinity church i think they knew lilian dawson as the name seems familiar

The school photo is of my mother in law. Lily Dawson was infact Lilian Dawson and Florence (Dolly) was her cousin.I am still tracing their family tree .

Do you know Lily Dawson's maiden name? Sorry if she was a child at that time, but I am unable to call any photo up.